Stand Alone GPS for Palm TX

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Greg Joplin, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg Joplin

Greg Joplin Mobile Deity

Hi

I'm looking for a stand alone gps unit for my Palm to use while I'm walking around in the city, Is this possible?
    I do not want to use it in a car.
    Any ideas?

Greg Joplin

2. PDA Bach

PDA Bach Dunsel

Hi, Greg,
    the first thing that comes to mind is at www.tomtom.com.

3. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

Any bluetooth GPS will work, no problem. Software is another story. TomTom or Emtac should do the job. If you can live without maps, just a pointer, distance, and direction to your destination, there are many choices of freeware. I like Cetus, but there are others. If you just want maps without a GPS, Google Maps will work. If you require both maps and a GPS capability, you'll have to pay for that.

4. art_dodger

art_dodger Palm-a-lama-ding-dong

Another option if you would like to provide your own maps (you can download them from thousands of free map servers, scan your own paper maps, hand draw maps, whatever) is a program called PathAway (http://www.pathaway.com) - I've been using it for 3 years with topographical maps that I download from government map servers and it is unquestionably the best GPS program for my purposes anywhere. In fact, I've searched for an actual handheld GPS that would do some of what PathAway does and haven't found anything that comes close.

It isn't the kind of program where you can do address searches and auto-routing. It's designed more for outdoor enthusiasts - Geocaching, hiking, canoeing, boating, etc.

With all the times I mention this program in the forums here, you'd think I had stock in the company or something but I'm honestly just a VERY satisfied user - I use PathAway more than any other software I have on my TX.

Dodger

5. sweller

sweller Mobile Deity

6. voytek

voytek Mobile Deity

I use Holux BT GPS (M1200 something) and cotoGPS;

Holux in one pocket, Palm in another, and, log to Palm

output can be processed into a google maps feed

works very well.

7. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

8. sweller

sweller Mobile Deity

*ROUGHLY* 3" x 1-7/8" x 5/8".

And it was $60 when I bought mine. :eek:

Steve in NM

9. xenosfrog

xenosfrog Newbie

You might take a look at Delorme BT-20 GPS with Streets2008 or if yet released Streets2009 for Handheld. The BT-20 is about the size of a business card and I think 1/4 inch thick. The Delorme maps and their support are famously well thought of. I have a Delorme PN-20 personal GPS instead of the bluetooth BT-20, because I use it for hiking & kayaking and I can use that for walk abouts. Someone gave me an old tom tom GPS which i bluetoothed to my TX for a GPS in the car, but that doesn't have enough battery to walk about. I think the BT-20 is supposed to be good for about 10 hrs. Best wishes.

10. Rich D

Rich D Mobile Evangelist