Sprint Revises LTE Plans, Smartphones Delayed Until After Mid-2012 Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Valerie Sarnataro, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Valerie Sarnataro

Valerie Sarnataro Brighthand Contributor

Sprint recently announced revised plans to launch its first 4G LTE handsets in the second half of 2012, rather than the company's original goal to have a dozen LTE-enabled phones by June of next year. This is a significant slow-down in the carrier's switch from WiMAX to LTE.

Read the full content of this Article: Sprint Revises LTE Plans, Smartphones Delayed Until After Mid-2012

Related Articles:

T-Mobile, Others Answer Carrier IQ Spyware Allegations

HTC EVO Design 4G Review: A Good Value on Sprint

Sprint's Costs for iPhone and LTE Are Going to Strain the Company

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  2. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I predicted this. They just don't have the money.

3. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

My prediction is that one of Sprint's first LTE device will be the next-generation iPhone. Apple needs a 4G model, and it's not going to wait for Sprint to be ready -- Sprint needs to be sure it has a LTE network when Apple is ready to launch.
    -

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  4. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

That may well be; but as you say, Apple's not gonna wait; and Sprint just doesn't have the money to build infrastructure, so they'll have an LTE phone that only work in a very limited area (more limited than WiMax).

5. Scott_L

Scott_L Palm til it's gone!

I've been with Sprint for 11 years, so I'm not posting just to pick on them - I stay because service is usually "acceptable" and price is great. Even from a window seat on the 7th floor in downtown Hartford it struggles. It's weak in my house and I have to go to the 2nd floor at my Mom's house. Not in the boonies, we live in well populated central areas where I would expect near flawless coverage. Sprint chooses to leave gaping holes in their coverage maps in areas that should be covered.

I can get full strength signal easy though ... all I have to do is drive to a college campus or Sprint store. :rolleyes: