Sprint Premium Data is required, otherwise "check out some of our feature phones"

Discussion in 'Sprint PCS' started by jigwashere, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

It really doesn't matter how many g's Sprint has. They don't exist outside the city limits or off the major highways around here.

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I think my question has been answered by this announcement: http://forum.brighthand.com/headlin...reless-data-plans-discussion.html#post1824321.

Unfortunately, this opens up a few more questions. Does this mean Sprint will charge the same for smartphones on 3G and 4G networks? This will eliminate at least one of the factors for choosing a 3G phone over a 4G phone, right?

This new announcement pretty much kills any of the humor I was going for in my original post. I guess I can't refer to my TP2 as a feature phone.

3. LandSurveyor

I'm gonna repeat my call (for all it's worth) for a moratorium on the g-race. I realize the carriers have to be able to afford to build all this data infrastructure but data rates should be going down with greater consumer uptake of smartphones, tablets, etc. Instead, it's going the other way.

The country's still in a recession which shows, at best, slight progress back toward normality, much less prosperity. With people already watching their pennies, who is going to fuel this expected uptake in data? Increasing data rates is clearly going in the wrong direction.

It only further complicates matters if they're pushing 4g phones, which require 4g plans even in areas where it's unavailable. This is NOT good marketing strategy.

It looks like I will probably be sticking with feature phones for another 2-year cycle, supplemented by a new-wave PDA, with the Galaxy Player being the lead choice at the moment.

This just in:
    Sprint increases unlimited smartphone data by $10 per month - FierceWireless
    gives a bit of detail behind their reasoning.

From the same newsletter, even more:
    http://www.fiercewireless.com/story.../2011-01-18?utm_medium=nl&utm_source=internal
    The most telling excerpt: "...Data usage is significantly increasing faster than the cost of providing a megabyte is coming down, especially in 3G. Something has to give."

4. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

LS, I'm sympathetic; but it continues to blow my mind that consumers in general seem to accept 'bad deals' on a regular basis. Let's see how they react to Sprint's extra 'activation fee.' They swallowed the $10 premium for 4G on the Evo, with barely a ripple. Admittedly the Evo was a very enticing phone; but personally, I don't go in for deals that rub me the wrong way. I feel the same way about how Apple treats customers. But I seem to be a lone voice yelling in the wind.

The same goes for lots of other things as well: e-book pricing, ticket prices, etc. People just lie down and accept it.

5. LandSurveyor

Those links explain it in a way that seems to make sense from the carrier's standpoint. But I still bear in mind that this is Sprint's explanation, and, again, they created this monster themselves. It will be interesting to see the reaction in print from their competition. Sprint can't be spending nearly as much on their buildout as VZW is.

Your perception of American mass consumer behavior is spot-on, I must admit. Hummers, what people are willing to pay for maxxed-out cable services, and, of course, the whole mortgage loan crisis point to a mass tendency to overreach our actual needs to a ridiculous degree. All it takes is a little encouragement from the seller. "Yeah, you can afford it. You NEED it." I mean, what family of 4 needs a 3500+ square foot house? And the 2k mortgage payment X 30 yrs? Just because the banker said you could afford it? He works for the bank's interest, not yours.

I guess a $10/mo. bump in data fees is small potatoes next to that kind of madness.

6. jigwashere

I have 3 choices: status quo ($30/month for 33 months), get the Optimus today at nearly full price ($40/month for 33 months), or get the Shift in October with my upgrade discount ($50/month for 24 months, and $30 for 9 months using my TP2).

I just did some quick calculations to compare the costs of those the options over the next 33 months:

Status quo = $920 (plus taxes and fees) (assumes $70 contract renewal credit)
    Optimus = $1544 (plus taxes and fees) (assumes $75 discount from full price, but no rebate and no renewal credit)
    Shift = $1550 (plus taxes and fees) (assumes $70 contract renewal credit, $150 discount from full price, and $100 rebate)

If I were smart, I'd baby my TP2 for as long as possible. Unfortunately, I'm not very smart.

7. jigwashere

For Sprint SERO customers, there's some good news! According to Russ McGuire, VP of strategy for Sprint, upgrading to SERO-P will continue to be $10 for most smartphones, and additional $10 for 4G-capable smartphones. Here's his blog article: McGuire’s Law Blog Archive SERO Premium and Premium Data

8. LandSurveyor

This reminds me of the J. C. Penney Lifetime Battery I once had. Naturally, no car battery lasts forever and the guarantee was only good for the one owner and the one car. Since I tend to keep cars a long time, I went through 4 or 5 of those before I finally got another car.

No matter how good the deal is, you will eventually need a new device. Then they gotcha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.