Sprint Premium Data is required, otherwise "check out some of our feature phones"

Discussion in 'Carrier Discussions' started by jigwashere, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I think it's strange that Sprint requires customers to purchase their 4G data plan on all smartphones offering 4G capability. It's too bad a customer can't buy the Evo and simply limit it to 3G. If I'm not mistaken, when I was at the Sprint store playing with the Evo, I had to intentionally select 4G to get 4G -- it wasn't automagic.

But....here's the funny thing. On Sprint's website, there's a pop-up message for the link to explain the requirement. I love the last line:
    Premium Data
    Don't you think there's a middle ground, like a 3G smartphone? :rolleyes: :D Or is the TP2 just another feature phone?

2. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Other carriers do something similar, differentiating between smartphones and dumphones, since any phone made nowadays can access the internet. My Motozine can but it's slow and the screen is abysmally small but possible. It's obviously a matter about the relative # of megabytes moving through the pipe.

Still, splitting it further between 3g and 4g is cutting it rather fine. I predict this will go away as 4g becomes more common.

Or maybe it will be a continuing feature as we add more and more g's. :eek:

I still can't get over the way the carriers want to control the amount of data we use so as not to swamp their networks yet just this morning, I saw a Verizon commercial touting their 4g and using NetFlix. Gad! Why don't people wait til they get home to watch TV!

3. jigwashere

I wish I could stream Netflix on my phone. I have no problem watching video on the small screen. I rarely watch TV anymore, but do watch recorded videos recoded for my phone. For me, it's easier -- my wife and kids can do what they want, I can be wherever I want to be in the house, I can watch at night in bed w/o bothering anyone, etc. I do use my phone to watch video while away from home, too, but not very often. Maybe during lunch break or when traveling. It seems most people want to watch TV and movies on a large screen, but for me, I'm more interested in the story than the graphics, and the convenience of the small screen wins over the big screen on most days.

4. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Oh, using the device is fine. I even have a few Tom & Jerry cartoons on my dumbphone just for the fun of it. My point was more about the burden on the wireless network as opposed to the wired one. If I had a need or desire for video from the small screen, I would probably sideload said video from my laptop. For me, video over wireless would probably be short news clips and such.

Then again, I have a digital antenna rather than cable and still listen to FM from a radio rather than stream over the net. Not quite ready to move out of the cave yet. ;)

5. jigwashere

I'm with you, there. I'm too cheap to pay for cable, and streaming audio and video doesn't work well for me. I've streamed video from my home PC to my smartphone over Orb and it's generally not a good experience, especially if the stream is interrupted (usually by life). Netflix is the one exception because I can stop and restart where I left off w/very few problems.

Tom & Jerry on your dumbphone? Haha! Back in the olden days, when my Palm T|E decided to take a swim in the bathtub, I recoded a few videos for my dumbphone. It wasn't that bad, especially since my eyes still didn't need cheaters.

6. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

The official Sprint answer is no doubt something along the lines of "4G will soon be available in many areas, so we just charge you now for it, and you'll have it soon".

The cynic in me says, "We bet on the wrong damn horse and can't roam onto Verizon's 4G. So now we're subsidizing our screwup by forcing everyone to pay for the 4 cities we managed to afford."

7. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Jig, didn't you have a set-up where you recorded video to a Windows Media PC (or similar) and then accessed that?

Alternatively, you already know about Slingbox, which can hook up to a DVR (which you didn't mention having, but I suspect it would work with your computer too).

QF, the funny thing is that the guy at the Times who lives in one of the original cities (Baltimore, I think) says it doesn't work well anyway. I really wanted an Evo; but there was no way in heck I'd subsidize 4G for cities I don't even live in. Plus, I hate Sprint anyway, because I have a grudge against them from past practices.

8. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Indeed, I even think there'd be a market for cheap 2g only data. With my current uses, I'd be all for that. Once upon a time, I actually assumed we were in for tiered speed plans, but it hasn't materialized anywhere.

9. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

in total agreement, w.r.t. the absurd move to force customers to pay for 4G when a) their phone doesn't do it b) even if they had a suitable phone, they can't access it yet. in fact, since I'm somewhat more seriously looking for a smartphone, on the Verizon network, that doesn't have a name starting with the letter between h and j, I'm more than a little put off by the surcharge for 4G service -- this effectively kicks those new whiz-bang phones out of the race. I still don't have a burning *need* for a smartphone, so I sure as blazes am not inclined to pay an extra $50/month*...

*postulating that the monthly access fee for a 4G phone will be similar to that for their current USB 4G modems...

10. jigwashere

Yes. I can steam video to my phone from my PC using Orb. There are many problems with streaming, among them the ability to stop and restart where you left off. Netflix takes care of this nicely. In fact, with Netflix, I can watch part of a show on one PC, then log in to another and finish from where I left off. An app to do this on my smartphone would be nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.