Sprint offering $15 unlimited plan to those willing to switch carriers

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by jigwashere, Jun 7, 2018.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

The data speeds are slower and can be restricted if there's network congestion. Since my kids don't expect data, it'll be perfect for them. If I were to use it, I think I'd be fine, too. I even had fairly slow internet connection in my home until just over a year ago.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

scjjtt likes this.
  2. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Oh, wait a minute. What the hell was I thinking... I use Dirty (Sprint? Fart!) Unicorns. :vbeek: :vbgrin: Going to stick with AT&T for now. although the Verizon pay as you go deals are tempting.

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  3. jigwashere

scjjtt, lelisa13p, Hook and 1 other person like this.
  4. z22 2006 User

z22 2006 User BHOT's Own Fluffy

I wish we could get this offer, but they won't even honor the fact we qualfied for a discount for a year and only gave us 9 months at that price.

scjjtt, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  5. jigwashere

Porting has been a struggle. I did not initiate the porting when I purchased the SIM cards thinking it would be easy enough to do it later. I was wrong. The process of activating the SIMs and porting the numbers is complicated.

NOTE: I was able to get some better numbers for Sprint than the ones they publish. If anyone ever needs to port to Sprint, call the porting department directly at 1-866-657-6843. Another direct number to the port department is 1-877-503-3269. For customer service, most of the numbers I tried announced the office was closed after 10:30 Central Time. I was successful getting through at 1-866-866-7509. Another possible CS number is 1-844-382-3312. CS requires being on hold and jumping through hoops, but eventually you should get through. The direct number for porting were answered relatively quickly.

Long story short: I successfully ported my daughter's number this evening. It looks like my son's port request was finally successful, and they're trying to expedite it to complete tonight. We'll see.

Sprint's LTE signal to my house is pretty weak. On my Nexus 6, I'm getting around 2.5 MB download speed. My daughter's phone on this $15 (or is it $10, now? :D) plan is around 1MB. I'll try to do more testing when I'm out an about. I already told the kids not to complain -- they're going from no data to data, albeit slow.

lelisa13p, Hook, RickAgresta and 2 others like this.
  6. jigwashere

I updated the PRL and carrier configuration under settings, rebooted, and now my daughter's phone has download speeds of nearly 5MB -- quite a bit faster than my Nexus 6.

Still waiting for my son's phone to port. Maybe I"ll walk the dog.

lelisa13p, Hook, RickAgresta and 2 others like this.
  7. jigwashere

I decided I wanted another of these $15 ($10?) lines. Today is the last day to sign up, and I wanted to find the quickest way to make it happen. I decided to use my Nexus 6 from my SERO account with the Sprint SIM already installed in it. Here are the steps I followed:
    1. Deactivate the Nexus 6 from my SERO account. To do this, I tried to activate my old, broken-down LG G2. The activation failed (probably because it's rooted w/custom ROM), but progressed far enough to release the Nexus IMEI.
    2. Create a Google Voice # on one of my Google accounts.
    3. Pay Google $3 to unlock my GV # for porting.
    4. Set a PIN on the GV account.
    5. Go to https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/plans/unlimited-kickstart.html and click the button to check the IMEI for the Nexus 6. Success!
    6. Follow the process, telling them I already have a SIM. Pay nothing to start.
    • According to the receipt I will be charged $20/month - $5 for autopay and -$5 for company discount = $10/month.
    • I will also be charged $30 activation fee. $30 will be credited back to the account over 2 or 3 billing cycles.
    I logged into my Sprint account and checked the port status here: https://shop2.sprint.com/en/wlnp/check.shtml. Since the port wasn't complete, I called 1-866-657-6843. After a brief hold, a representative processed the port which was successful in moment. I powered on my Nexus 6 and was able to use data immediately, but not make a call. Normal activation attempts failed, so I Googled 'manually activate Nexus 6 on Sprint' and followed the directions here (basically, dial *#*#72786#*#*). Success!

So, my Nexus 6 is now on Sprint and new phone number (perfect for me) with unlimited calling, text and data, ostensibly for $10/month. And, since the Nexus 6 is rooted and ROMed, I am able to create a hotspot. Download speed right now is 5.45Mbps; upload 3.21Mbps. No complaints! :)

Hmm....Now I just need to try to figure how to get my wife's Sprint iPhone onto that $10 plan. It's a bit challenging, only because she doesn't like me monkeying around with it. I don't think I can follow the process outlined above because she would want to keep her phone number. Time is of the essence, so it's not like I could easily port her number somewhere, then port it back to Sprint. There is a method in the slickdeals wiki post for this offer, but it involves connecting with some guy on ebay. I need to scheme. :evil grin:

EDIT: Oh, and yes, now I really can get rid of SERO. Um..once the dust settles.

RickAgresta, lelisa13p, Hook and 2 others like this.
  8. jigwashere

Okay, I figured out the LG G2 situation. It was an ID-10-T error (aka idiot). I was trying to activate it using the IMEI number on the original box, completely forgetting that I replaced the phone at one point because of damage. I had to call Sprint back, do a little song and dance, and it seems to be working. So, my old LG G2 is back on SERO! It is only 3G signals at the moment, but I think it's because I'm so far from Sprint's towers. It shouldn't really matter, though. This is the one I plan to cancel soon.

Wow, this old LG G2 sure is strange. It does have a cracked screen, but still works. Apps need a lot of updates. I should probably factory reset it.

Hey, look!-- there's my old Galaxy SII!!! :D

9. jigwashere

Maybe the LG G2 isn't compatible with Sprint's 4G network and it'll only work on 3G. This phone had Sprint Spark, so I'm thinking no.

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  10. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Sprint Spark is 4G. That was just a branding term they used. It won't get full LTE speeds of current phones, but it should get LTE connectivity of some sort.