Sprint Increasing the Cost of Its Smartphone Wireless Data Plans Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

Sprint has just announced that it is adding a "Premium Data add-on charge" to the monthly fee for any smartphone activated on its network after the end of this month. This will bring the cost for using a new smartphone up by $10 a month. UPDATED

Read the full content of this Article: Sprint Increasing the Cost of Its Smartphone Wireless Data Plans

Related Articles:

Verizon Ending its ''New Every Two'' Discount Program

Samsung Epic 4G from Sprint Gets Price Cut

HTC EVO Shift 4G Now Available from Sprint

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  2. r0k

r0k Dazed

Just as Verizon eliminated new every 2 when it got the iPhone, perhaps Sprint is anticipating its own version of the CDMA iPhone. I remember a comment made during the VZW press conference when somebody asked about exclusivity the reply was, "This is a multi year non exclusive contract."

This could mean a CDMA iPhone will show up on Sprint only a few months after Verizon, hence Sprint raising its prices now that it will soon have the same attractive smartphone lineup as the "big two".

3. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Last week, I started this thread, http://forum.brighthand.com/sprint-...erwise-check-out-some-our-feature-phones.html, so I guess the announcement catches up with the verbiage on their website.

I think some clarification is in order. Sprint customers with smartphones using the 4G network have always paid this premium, haven't they? Or does this mean that 4G customers will pay another $10 on top of the newly announced $10 charge? Thanks.

4. Scott_L

Scott_L Palm til it's gone!

After reading the article, this is exactly what I came here to ask. I just left my Treo behind and got an LG Optimus S Android phone from Sprint last month. I wanted the Evo but wasn't going to pay $10 more per month for 4G - especially since my area doesn't have 4G! What crap. So I went with a 3G offering. Sure, it cost less, but isn't as powerful though I have to say I'm pretty pleased with it. I too am curious if this means 4G phone users will pay $20 more than I do a month.

ps. As much as I'm happy with my move to Android, it is SO much more involved and frustrating to use than the awesomely simple POS. Trying to get that cursor where I need to to make frequent corrections is a B!T(H!

5. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

From what I've read, the premium charge is $10 for all smartphones, regardless of 3G or 4G. Evo users won't pay an additional $10 on top of what they're paying now. I'd like confirmation of that, but that's what I'm reading.

You're lucky you got in on the Optimus before the end of the month. I'm considering the Optimus, too, but not if I have to pay premium data rates. I've got 4G coverage here, so I'd rather get the Shift.

6. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I just re-read the article and realize that it says the $10 premium data charge will apply when customers "upgrade to or activate another smartphone." If I'm reading that correctly, it means that if something happens to my TP2 and I activate my Palm Treo 755p, I'll get hit with the additional charge.

7. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

I bet you could argue out of that since you didn't re-up your contract though.

8. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Speaking of the feature phones, the increase applies to some of them as well, specifically the Samsung Instinct line.

9. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

*grumble grumble*

Well, at least SERO customers won't be through the roof. But it's still more money out of our pockets.

I was thinking TP2 for my upgrade, just for the fact that it is cheaper for the plan. But now if it isn't, I'll likely get the EVO.

10. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

You could get the TP2 before the end of the month and stay at $30. If you can deal with that for 24 months, that's $480 savings. Then again, you deserve the Evo. Go for it! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.