Sprint disables tethering

Discussion in 'Sprint PCS' started by reb1, Apr 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reb1

reb1 Mobile Deity

I heard as of 10/10/2010 Sprint disabled tethering for non commercial accounts. So this means any account that does not use a federal tax id number has been disabled for tethering. Commercial accounts can still use and purchase the service.

2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Cite your source. I've heard no such rumblings.

3. Scott_L

Scott_L Palm til it's gone!

I know they say it's 5 o'clock somewhere, but it ain't 10/10/2010 where I am. Maybe I'll report back in about half a year. ;)

I take it there's a typo in there making this confusing...

4. reb1

reb1 Mobile Deity

5. Scott_L

Scott_L Palm til it's gone!

Thanks for the correction & link. So, when will my bill be lowered to reflect this lost functionality? :rolleyes:

I wonder if this will actually disable USB Modem and the other 3rd Party tethering tools... I only use it on rare occasions, but it has helped me out in a bind.

Another link to a link on that forum leads to a tiny bit more detail. What's odd is that a quick search isn't bringing up thousands of internet rants. Maybe something was misinterpreted somewhere...

6. headcronie

Won't disable 3rd party software solutions. Those mask your tethering ability as basic cell web use, not tethered use.

If they disable that, then you don't have internet at all on your device.

7. reb1

reb1 Mobile Deity

I have used tethering when I had a company phone. I have an unlimited plan on my usb modem from 2006 and use an evdo router so I can have a choice of using wifi with many devises. I hope someone posts in and lets us no more about weather these restrictions effect third party software using the phone as a modem.

8. headcronie

As I stated above, they have no control over 3rd party solutions. It will not affect them. The 3rd party solutions tunnel your tethering connection and send it out as though you were browsing through your cell phone, not your computer.

When you pay for tethering through sprint, they allow your phone to act as a modem, and all your internet activities on your computer, are flagged as computer browsing, not cell browsing. There is a distinct difference between the two.

9. TexasRho83

TexasRho83 Newbie

I've downloaded tether and PDAnet and can't get tethered. When I try, error message pops up saying I'm not signed up for Mobile HotSpot... Hmm thought these 3rd party apps bypassed the need to spend an extra $30/mo in addition to the additional I already spend for the "data" plan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.