Speculation that Sprint may buy MetroPCS

Discussion in 'Sprint PCS' started by CLeonard, Sep 23, 2012.

1. CLeonard

CLeonard Brighthand Site Admin Super Moderator

Goldman-Sachs Analyst Jason Armstrong believes Sprint Nextel may be positioning themselves to buy MetroPCS. The impetus for this belief comes from a statement from them CEO of Sprint-Nextel that they would probably play a role in future consolidation.

Sprint's Stock Jumps After CEO Predicts Consolidation

2. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

So they're going to spend how much money, for a handful of isolated cities and some spectrum? Compared to how much they'd be able to build out their existing network for that price? I'm pretty sure Sprint's problem isn't a lack of depth or lack of spectrum. It's that people who need coverage beyond the suburbs--or even think they might need it, regardless of whether they do or not--flock to AT&T and Verizon.

Varjak likes this.
  3. Hook

Hook Nexus or Nothin'

Also, I can't imagine it being good news for consumers if MVNOs start getting gobbled up by #3. :rolleyes:

4. Adama D. Brown

MetroPCS isn't quite an MVNO; that term describes outfits that don't own any network at all, and resell access to others. MetroPCS is just a really tiny regional carrier.

5. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Yeah, MetroPCS is kind of an odd-duck. Can't see the real benefit of buying it though.

6. Adama D. Brown

Nor can I. It doesn't add substantial amounts of coverage, and it doesn't even use all the same bands Sprint currently does; MetroPCS' very small amount of LTE coverage isn't compatible with existing Sprint LTE phones.

7. r0k

r0k Dazed

MetroPCS started off by buying up At&t's old (pre GSM) TDMA network. Remember that? Back when At&t was called Cingular? It was so bad it was laughable. That's why you can get an all you can eat MetroPCS plan for about $40 a month with no contract. I guess I can see Sprint buying MetroPCS. I mean they bought Nextel and on the pathetic coverage scale, Nextel and MetroPCS are near neighbors.

8. Adama D. Brown

Hell, I remember when AT&T was still AT&T, then merged with Cingular. I have not-that-fond memories of buying a "dual mode" phone off eBay, and desperately scurrying around my house looking for a GSM signal in the hopes that there was any other carrier besides Verizon and their then-ridiculous rates that would offer service to me.

That sort of experience is why, as much as I appreciate the smaller carriers and true MVNOs, I don't exactly look to them as viable service options for me or most people who ask me to provide a recommendation. A carrier is only as good as the signal you can get; hence the reason Sprint is great if you never, ever leave the suburbs, but otherwise it has some problems.

That said, off what you mention about their $40 plan, MetroPCS is hardly the best deal in terms of cheap small carrier or MVNO plans. Brighthand has an article coming soon (not sure when it'll be published, just "soon") that outlines some of the better ones.

9. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I also think some may have forgotten that Sprint heavily marketed itself as Sprint PCS as well. PCS was marketed as frequencies set aside for 'professional use.' Metro PCS was pretty popular for a time because they offered several pretty cool phones that offered push-to-talk, which some people really liked.

10. CLeonard

CLeonard Brighthand Site Admin Super Moderator

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012