Spam posters, etc.

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions, Help and Announcements' started by Varjak, Nov 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

Hmm... your wee hours sometimes are already way passed my mornings ! ;)

2. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

I know :eek: < lelisa13p hangs head and looks ashamed > I sometimes lose track of the time and then yawn all day long while trying to hide that I've been up too late the nite before.. :eek:

3. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

I do that as a usual manner of course. But not because I lost track of time - There just aren't enough hours in a day!

4. r0k

r0k Dazed

We would bring the rep system back but only as a spam filter, with a maximum rep of 5. Anybody with 0 or minus rep would be "filtered" and have a "no link" policy both in signatures and in posts along with a post per day limit. Any of us could "unfliter" a newbie upon reading a genuine (non spam) post merely by giving them positive rep.

5. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Obviously conversation (give and take) are important (it's a major point of the forums); but I don't see where the time element is that crucial. An exchange of information doesn't imply instantaneous response. If it did, there wouldn't be forums and just IM sessions.

6. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

The time element is crucial to Brighthand. If the poster gets a response more quickly from another source, they'll stick with the other source and may not come return. It's not too different from shopping: if you can get the same product from two sources, but one delivers more quickly, which will you choose?

7. r0k

r0k Dazed

I agree, Jig. Responses at BH are very fast and almost always helpful. I've seen threads at other boards where the OP has to wade through a bunch of "you asked a stupid question" responses to find a a meaningful answer to their question.

8. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

It is often the case that there may need to be a relatively quick back and forth between the poster looking for help and forum folks trying to help to clarify the issue.

9. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Well, I've seen posts languish for a few days and I haven't seen too many 'emergencies.' I think the legitimate posters don't have such issues; but it was just a thought. I disagree with the consensus; but it's not a big deal.

10. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I've seen posts languish for a few days, too, but mostly I've seen threads started by new posters with a fair amount of activity on the first day. Many new posters are not asking questions. Many new posts are responses in existing threads, either as comments or suggestions (solutions to problems). These aren't 'emergencies,' but they are the needs of the community. This is a forum, a place where open discussion and participation is encouraged. I also think a relatively open policy for posting is more likely to attract new members. In my experience, spam posts have been a very minor nuisance since Brighthand's moderators are so quick to deal with them. In fact, I haven't seen more than a few spam posts in the past few weeks. I would hate to see increased posting restrictions just because the occasional spammer gets through the lines of defense.

By the way, you can easily find at least some threads that are languishing by clicking the 'Unanswered Threads' link. Even if you have no comment or solution to a new member's post, a friendly welcome is always nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.