Sorry if this has been posted already, but does anyone have experience with this type of phone?

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by legsilver, Sep 24, 2015.

1. legsilver

legsilver Mobile Enthusiast

Hey, so I really hate my Samsung SCHi-405, and am thinking of paying my own phone bill, so I was looking at something like this....

2015-09-24 09.42.09.jpg

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I'm not familiar with Net10, but it I looks good. I've also heard good things about RepublicWireless.com.

lelisa13p likes this.
  3. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

There are many choices for Pay as you Go Phones (PAYG) including by the big companies like AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon. You'll find a thread of mine that I started in 2009 :vbeek: about my experiences which have been with AT&T, but towards the end of that thread there is some useful discussion of other options. The PAYG world has been changing a lot and there are now a lot of options that you can research. Basically even the smaller companies like NET10, called MVNOs, use the big companies networks which they lease. Be sure you research any plan's coverage map for your area. Frankly, any of them are okay if they give you coverage and you like the price, but some offer better deals than others, some offer better customer service than others and some offer more features than others. However, no plan is any good if it doesn't have good coverage in your area. I think NET10 uses Verizon, not sure.

The phone question is separate, although obviously if you are not bringing your own phone to a PAYG plan then your choice of phones are limited. Figure out what you need from a phone and what your budget is and then shop the phones and prices for phones offered by the different companies. The LG Optimus is not the first phone I would recommend, unless it is the only one that fits your budget. There are some good low priced phones out there. I don't know if they still have them, but Verizon has the original Moto G for like $35 on their $45/month PAYG plan. Research a bit what's out there, then come back here with what has looked good to you and what you see your needs are and we'll try to help you sort the research. :vbsmile:

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    lelisa13p, scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  4. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

I've actually tested and reviewed Republic Wireless. I highly, highly, highly recommend them as a low-cost provider.

lelisa13p, jigwashere and Hook like this.
  5. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Doesn't Walmart offer an even cheaper service (not much talk time) for $30/month? It's hard to find on the website; but it's possible.

jigwashere likes this.
  6. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Walmart I believe is partnered up with Straight Talk, so they might offer something like that.

jigwashere likes this.
  7. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

Actually I have the $30 Simple Mobile plan, limited talk with unlimited txt and data. I believe WalMart sells the plan. I got it from directly from SM, I bought a SIM card for only 99 cents and choose and activate the plan.

Of course, the OP needs to buy a phone first.

jigwashere likes this.
  8. Guest

Guest Has Bad Feeling About This

Net10 is a TracFone brand. I used to have a TracFone, and they are possibly the cheapest way to get a cell phone, but their customer service is not great.

jigwashere likes this.
  9. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

It's important to remember that if you make sure to buy a brand which uses a SIM card, you can just take that out of the basic phone at any point in the future and put it in a better device. So you can "settle" for a cheap phone now, then upgrade and keep the same prepaid rate when you get tired of it.