Sony PlayStation Vita Vs. Nintendo 3DS: Mobile Game Consoles Go Head-to-Head Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Jen Edwards, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Jen Edwards

Jen Edwards PocketGoddess

<p>If you're a "true" gamer who is always on the move, you may enjoy the games that are available on your smartphone or tablet but still long for something more -- better graphics, richer stories, tougher challenges, or your favorite characters and series from dedicated home consoles. The Nintendo 3DS ($170) and the Sony PlayStation Vita ($250 Wi-Fi or $299 Wi-Fi/3G) are dedicated portable gaming devices that have a great deal to offer, but there are several questions to consider when choosing the right one for your needs.</p>

Read the full content of this Article: Sony PlayStation Vita Vs. Nintendo 3DS: Mobile Game Consoles Go Head-to-Head

Related Articles:

Sony PlayStation Vita Review: Taking Mobile Gaming to a New Level

Sony Ericsson Xperia Play Review: Game On

Nintendo 3DS Review

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2014
  2. Mi An

Mi An Endogame

The real thing holding back the quality of mobile gaming is... buttons. Accelerometers and touchscreens are complimentary control schemes for traditional core games. Forcing them as the primary control mechanism only results in frustration.

Nintendo has been pushing touchscreen control for a long time, but they have frequently run into the reality that going solo touchscreen is a tough sell. Even relying on it to replace a second analog was a mistake, leading to the early introduction of the clumsy circle pad pro.

I plan to get one someday, though not anytime soon. It does indeed, as the article says, come down to the games. I'll wait and see which portable grabs a deeper strategy library. The DS beat the PSP there, and that's what I bought. I think Sony has a pretty good shot this time, and I'll be even more inclined towards Sony if Fallout/Fable/TES get on board.

3. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

One difference is that the Vita has the potential to be a semi-tablet. It can do a lot of non gaming things, not necessarily as good as an Android or iOS but it can. It can browser, do Facebook, Twitter and now even Skype, It is also a media consuming device like you can download and rent videos.

The PS Vita is much more likely to have the kinds of games that can challenge the latest iPads or Android tablets. It has a true quadcore Cortex A9 CPU like the Tegra3, but the quadcore GPU is the same as used on the iPad 3, which is the PowerVR SGX543MP. (iPad 3 only uses a dual core CPU). Technically, this processor can more than hold up to the latest in the state of the art in Android and iOS. Ironically, guess who made it --- Samsung. In fact the Vita makes me realize its possible to make a $250 quad core tablet.

4. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

Amen Mi An :newpalm:

PC gaming has been absolutely ruined by console ports as well [yes completely off topic but there you go :D ]

5. Jen Edwards

Jen Edwards PocketGoddess

Mi An, I can't help but agree with you after playing Kid Icarus on the 3DS. It's a great game with a really painful control scheme--no wonder it came with a plastic stand for your handheld!

I'm really curious to see what happens at E3; lots of folks are speculating that we'll see a new 3DS with a second Circle Pad Pro.

6. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Sony had a great idea with the Xperia Play--an Android smartphone with slide-out gaming controller instead of a slide-out QWERTY keyboard--but they failed to capitalize on its potential with marketing, game selection, etc. I'm still curious how good the Xperia Play could have been if they put Vita levels of R&D and marketing into it.

7. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

Mitlov, Sony made the most basic marketing mistake possible with the Xperia Play: it gave the device a terrible name. Leaving "PlayStation" out of the name is 90% of what made it a failure.
    -

8. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Mobile Deity

Very balanced article, definitely Brighthand-worthy.

I personally went with the 3DS for now; can't be without my usual Nintendo franchises, though it's Kid Icarus: Uprising that pushed me into getting one. (And, no, I don't have any problems with its controls, barring Exo Tank movement, and don't need the stand. I prefer the superior computer-mouse-like precision of touchscreen aiming and will be upset if Resident Evil: Revelations and Metal Gear Solid 3D set a trend of 3DS shooters not having a touchscreen aiming option. Wasn't a problem on the DS, when the Circle Pad Pro wasn't even an option...)

I really want to like the Vita, but I can't get over the analog sticks not having much throw/room to travel, about half that of a 3DS Circle Pad unless you stick some thick caps on them to increase the leverage. Nor can I get over the high price for both the handheld and its required proprietary memory cards, proprietary USB cables (even the PSP didn't go that far), and especially the general lack of games that interest me, aside from the upcoming Gravity Rush.

On the other hand, I don't want the Vita to completely fail; its current sales are quite dismal, worse than the PSP before it at this stage in its life, so it's not looking very good at the moment. But competition brings better products all around, and the Vita does have potential if developers are willing to make games I want to play on it, especially if they can think of innovative uses for the rear trackpad/touch panel. (Right now, all I can think of is using it as a far more precise alternative to using the right analog stick in FPSs, but I doubt any Vita developer is actually going to even attempt that.)

9. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

Adreno 205 used on the Qualcomm S2 on the Sony Xperia Play is to say the least, weak in addition to the chip only being a single core. The moment they slapped that chip there instead of a Tegra2, that about dooms it. The difference between games on a smartphone vs. a mobile console is very physical and has a lot to do with the fairly overpowering GPUs used on the consoles. Its like calling a laptop with an Intel HD Graphics integrated chipset, a gaming machine when you would rather have a nVidia or Radeon GPU along. Gaming is a field that loves sheer brute power and lots of it.

At least when the Xperia Play was available, they should have picked something like the Tegra2 or the OMAP 4430 with the PowerVR SGX. Or even the Novathor chipset SE planned to use on the Xperia P and U. That chip had a MALI 400MP on it and all are dual cores.

Comparing the chip on the Vita vs. the Xperia Play is like a gorilla vs. a chimp. Or a Porsche vs. a Corolla. In fact, the Vita chip is literally ahead of anything currently on even the state of the art iOS and Android devices. I won't inundate with technicalities but trust me, the chip there can more than hold vs. what the iPad 3 has, what the HTC One X and S has, and what even the Galaxy S3 might have.