Something not huge! -what should i buy thread-

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by WesMan, Jul 13, 2013.

1. WesMan

WesMan Mobile Consultant

Hey guys so I'm pretty much looking for a smartphone that is not one of these tablet size things I keep seeing in stores/online.

• 4" or smaller screen (4.3" if there is nothing else out there) Don't care if its HD or not.
    • Excellent camera (for a phone). At this point I don't carry a camera around anymore, so this would become my main shooter.
    • Good battery life (should last 2+ days under light use). by light use I mean, 5-10 mins of internet browsing, 10 mins of txting, 2 mins of call time and maybe 5-6 pics over the course of a day.
    • CPU can either be a fast single or dual core. quads are not needed or even wanted since I never game on my phone so it would just end up sucking battery life.
    • Sturdy build (NO GLASS BACKS, also I love unibody designs)
    • Any carrier will do, but I prefer a prepaid plan from T-mobile
    • While Android is my favorite mobile OS I could be tempted away to W8 or even Apple if the hardware fits.

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Mobile Enthusiast

I've been looking at the new Samsung Exhibit. It's sold by T-Mobile but you can find it elsewhere at a cheaper price. It has a dual core processor, a 3.8 inch screen, a 5 megapixel camera and comes with Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. The screen is a bit too small for my liking but it may be perfect for you.

3. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

Since you are going to use it for Tmobile, you have few options. So far you can get...

Sony Xperia M - not available yet
    Samsung Galaxy Exhibit T599 - mentioned above
    Samsung Galaxy S Blaze Q
    T-Mobile Prism II
    Huawei Ascend G312

lelisa13p and Mi An like this.
  4. WesMan

WesMan Mobile Consultant

Well it does not HAVE to be on T-mobile, I will look to other carriers if i can find the right hardware. My main thing is that it be small and have a very good camera, unfortunately most of those have fairly lower end 5 MP cameras.

At this point the top runners are a unlocked Sony Xperia SX, the upcoming Samsung S4 mini or the Iphone 4S (4S is kind of a last resort, has a good camera and the right formfactor but its glass design seems to crack a lot). I also don't mind waiting for a bit if you guys know of something being released in the next month or two. The HTC one mini looks interesting too but I can't seem to find much info on it.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  5. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

Please aware of these phones frequencies, especially 3G. Some unlocked phone will not work with Tmobile's 3G.

RickAgresta likes this.
  6. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Above: Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

In addition, if the phone does work for a carrier it wasn't designed for, the data speeds may be less than 3G performance. The same can be (not necessarily is) true of international models.

7. Mi An

Mi An Endogame

One of the things you have to watch out for in this category is that small screens do not always equal small footprints. The bezel to screen ratio tends to go up as the phones get smaller, especially for the most budget minded devices. I'm not going to look it up just now but I think I remember that the galaxy s3 mini (4") is bulkier than the s4 mini (4.3"). A less on point example, but still instructive is the 5" s4 is ever so slightly smaller than the 4.7" s3.

On that note, a little north of the screen size you specified is the Moto X. It might be 4.4" to 4.7", but it's a fairly tight looking package. I saw it in a video once (can't find it just now) next to an iphone 5 (4"), and was a little taken aback by how close they were (makes me think it might be closer to 4.4"). Definitely not huge. I hate to tease something that isn't out yet, but brighthand says it's coming to verizon in august (expected to be released on all major carriers) and there's a rogers demo video out today, and the general trickle of information is accelerating, so it may be here quite soon. It's also expected to be priced aggressively due to using last year's specs, of note given your interest in prepaid.

These two are covering it pretty aggressively:
    Moto X – Droid Life
    Moto X - Android Community

RickAgresta likes this.
  8. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

I would recommend the Galaxy S4 Mini. or shudder, the Facebook phone aka HTC First. You can disable the Facebook Home interface and get a straight Android interface on the HTC First, which is mighty convenient.

9. WesMan

WesMan Mobile Consultant

Yea Mi An, I have noticed what your saying about the screen size vs body size. Its one of the reasons I'm still including the 4.3" phones in my search even though they tend to be a little larger then I like. The Galaxy S4 Mini is a pretty good example of a phone with small bezels packing in a large screen in a smaller body.

Also by all means let me know about any upcoming phones. I don't have to purchase right away (just soonish) so anything on the horizon that might fit what im looking for is up for grabs.

I hear what you guys are saying about the carrier frequency compatibility. Right now though im just looking for something with the right hardware and then il start researching what carriers i can use once I find the right phone.

10. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reading through your criteria, the iPhone 5 sounds like the best bet in my opinion. Both Android and WP are currently putting their flagship-quality cameras and components in large-sized phones. Anything remotely close to the iPhone in size right now has only midrange-quality screens, cameras, and build quality.

RickAgresta, Hook and Daniel Jones like this.
  11. WesMan

WesMan Mobile Consultant

true but the iPhone 5 has a fairly avg 8 MP cam so its nothing out of this world. the current crop of 8 MP cams from samsung and nokia in their mid range phones seem to be about the same quality. Still it is an option, I like that they replaced the glass back with an aluminum one though. Good move there.

I also just found out you can get an aluminum back for the iPhone 4S so that might get tossed in the running too.

12. Mi An

Mi An Endogame

motoxsize (Custom) (2).jpg

Just in case you haven't seen it yet, the moto x is second from the left. The full size version is here: http://i.imgur.com/nkBIZBA.jpg. Not sure who made it or how accurate it is. I found it via Comparison of Moto X size against other top smartphones and they didn't really claim it.

FWIW. Moto is supposed to unveil on August 1st, and journalists have already handled it under NDA earlier this month, so I assume when the embargo lifts, there will be plenty of previews and hands ons to check out.

EDIT: so I think the image was made with the assumption that the screen size was 4.5" or so and the render was scaled accordingly, while conventional wisdom buoyed by some rough photos with a measuring tape seem to indicate the device actually has a 4.7" screen (including the onscreen buttons). Probably wouldn't take a competent image editor more than a minute to rescale it until the screen area had a 4.7" diagonal and replace it in that comparison, but it would take me weeks, so you'll have to use your imagination.

EDIT 2: found the source of the image: http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/1ipvl3/a_quick_comparison_image_of_the_size_of_the_moto/
    There are two additional mockups, one assuming a 4.7" moto x, and another around 4.65".

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
    jigwashere, Drillbit and weegie like this.
  13. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

You could also look at a Lumia 82x series phone. Decent camera, good build, smaller footprint, and available in multiple carrier forms so you should be able to find an affordable one that matches the frequencies you need.

14. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

I can tell you that the 5mp unit on my Galaxy S takes quite good pictures as long as the light is decent so I expect the unit on the Exhibit will do the same.

The new 41mp unit on the upcoming Nokia will probably be a quantum leap but I don't know how big the phone is.

15. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

From what I am hearing the Moto X will come with a 4.5" screen, not 4.7".

The iPhone 5 is actually quite big for a 4" screen phone, due to the large bezels.

For what efficiently designed 4" screen sized phone should be, look for the original Motorola Atrix. They even managed to pack an over 1900mah battery into it as well.

motorola-atrix-4g-1294335767-725.jpg

16. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

I am conducting my own life experiment with smartphones of different sizes (4.7", 5", and 5.5" phablet) and tablets (7" vs. 10"). I feel like I enjoy using my 5.5" screen phablet (Note 2) a bit more than my smartphones with 5" and 4.7" screen sizes, while I also enjoy picking up my 7" tablet more than my 10" tablets. This even though my phablet and 7" tablet are last generation compared to the other and faster devices. So while phone use is getting bigger, but tablet use points to getting smaller, somewhere, there is going to be a convergence point.

17. NexusRaptor

NexusRaptor Mobile Enthusiast

Judging by the requirements, Lumia 720 will do the job well.

4.3" with Clear Black Display and a sturdy built.
    6.7 mp snapper can put the likes of iPhone 5, GS4 and co. to shame.
    Windows 8 is well optimized for great battery backup. With medium usage, I have enough juice to last a couple of days.
    Dual-core CPU clocked at 1GHz with 512 MB RAM. The RAM capacity might look like a downer on paper but it is anything but. You need to experience it to see why exactly I am raving about this set.

18. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

I take it back. The Moto X has a 4.7" screen but the overall physical dimensions remain the same as above. Which means bezels are quite minimal and the whole thing is extremely efficiently designed.

[video=youtube;3ZX8graseUQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZX8graseUQ[/video]

19. WesMan

WesMan Mobile Consultant

I was looking at the Moto X for a while but from early reviews the camera on it is not implemented very well (bad focus, color accuracy issues). otherwise it looks like a very solid phone thats probably near the perfect size, your sure not going to get anything smaller with a 4.7" screen. but yea at this point the low performing cam and the high price, $550-$650 put me off it.

At this point the Samsung S4 mini is looking pretty attractive. Its getting pretty good reviews for battery life, camera and performance (uses the same CPU as the Moto X with krait 300 cores), plus it has a removable battery and SD card. price seems to be around $400-$450 unlocked. And its one of the smaller 4.3" screen phones.

The new Droid mini looks really good but its locked to Verizon and uses the same camera hardware as the Moto X.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
    Drillbit likes this.
  20. jamiesheerin

jamiesheerin Newbie

Try Iphone 4s or 5, i don't like small screens although i have a small hand:eek: When you get used to a bigger screen, smaller ones will never attracts