Some general advice for New Members

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by Snakeyes, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Snakeyes

Snakeyes H1 not H2

The purpose of this post is to provide new members some general suggestions on how to make the best use of this forum so that it is both informative and enjoyable to its members. These are just suggestions, and do not reflect any official policies or procedures of this forum.

One of the primary strengths of this particular forum is the enormous diversity of experience provided by its members and their willingness to share this information with other members. To capitalize on this asset I am taking the liberty of outlining some simple steps new members can take to, not only gain from, but also effectively contribute to this forum.

-Before posting on any topic perform a search for that topic. This will limit not only limit duplicate posts, but will also allow you to better clarify your topic or question.

-After performing a search, do not hesitate or be embarrassed to create a new topic. Remember, that even the best experts in different facets of the PDA world were newbie's at some point.

-By creating a new post on a topic that has yet to be covered adequately you are creating a forum (note the word 'forum') that allows you to tap in the combined expertise that resides on this forum rather than a single opinion no matter who or what is the source of the single opinion. You are also facilitating the search process for other members looking to identify issues and topics.

-The members of this forum have enormous diversity and it is important to maintain a sense of humor. For the very same reason respect all other members respective of their background or apparent level of knowledge. Arrogance or rudeness of any type, especially by some one hiding behind a keyboard translates to simple cowardice and will often engender a response in kind.

-Unfortunately, there are some members, myself included, that tend to be irreverent in some of their posts. Generally, these members, myself included, mean no ill will but suffer from their own bizarre sense of humor. If you are offended by any such posts do not hesitate to pm them or better still ignore them.

In summary to quote one of the most charming (but tough) members of this forum that I have had the pleasure to meet on line:-
    * Sometimes there isn't any one correct answer.
    * We are here to help each other.
    * "Playing nice" with each other counts for a lot.
    * Appreciate the experiences of others, and their expertise, but don't forget to consider the source.

Thanks.

2. HX4705

HX4705 Mobile Deity

<-- Loudmouth who hates bullies and know-it-alls.

Sorry If I offend the new members.

3. Snakeyes

Snakeyes H1 not H2

Man you are ******* awesome. I will start a collection amongst members so that my Vet can get you 'fixed'. That way atleast the gene pool will end. I also know a very erudite member who will pay for the entire operation as long as it is done with a blunt instrument.:) :D

4. HX4705

HX4705 Mobile Deity

Tell you what, I will go right after you do ;)

5. jgrnt1

jgrnt1 Mobile Deity

Snakeyes,

You irreverent???? Perish the thought. :D

6. Qoheleth

Qoheleth Senile Member

Gee, that didn't take long, did it?

Don't make me turn this Router around... 'cause I will.

7. Willa

Willa Mobile Deity

Thanks, Snakeyes, for taking the time and effort to create this thread! Things get a little lively in the forums* when a new device is released, so I'm going to sticky this for now.

(* My dictionary says either fora or forums is correct for the plural of forum.)

8. imported_fil

imported_fil Mobile Deity

Yeah, but the 2215 still is the best PPC.;) :D