Software Updates: Love' em or Hate 'em? Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, Dec 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

On the latest mobile operating systems, it's now easy to check for updates to third-party applications. Please chime in to this discussion on whether you look forward to new software versions for new features, or dread them as a source of new bugs.

Read the full content of this Article: Software Updates: Love' em or Hate 'em?

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  2. r0k

r0k Dazed

Mostly love 'em. Most iOS software updates bring new features. They also provide me an indication when it's time to "thin the herd" and delete unused and unwanted apps. Every now and then an update brings an invasive new ad implementation or bug but mostly things get better.

One excellent example of updates that bring real value and new features is Goodreader, but there are plenty others.

3. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Agreed, I mostly love as well. I just check before updating to make sure the changes don't remove a feature I liked.

I don't use auto-update but I do like the batch update option in android.

4. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

I like a combination of batch updates and auto updates.

In Android, I would have crucial apps set on auto update, like GMail, YouTube, Google Maps, Facebook, and the Google Search widget. This is especially since Google does not sleep and is constantly updating these core apps, GMail today, Youtube a few days ago, Google Search last week and Google Maps the next.

The rest of the apps, I update by batch.

5. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

It seems to me the day of the week that updates are most likely to be released on is Thursday. I think it works out this way because the developers work on the update most of the week, release it, then have a day to take care of any emergencies that came up.
    -

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  6. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

Devs don't work on Friday, PMs do ;) Thursday tends to be a good day because you can use Friday and weekend to mass collect thoughts from users, then prioritize feedback at the top of the week.

Another (interesting) time to release updates is before a major holiday break.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  7. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

OS upgrades, I almost hate without exception, third party software, some is good, some isn't, the likes of Opera don't always release a better version imho.
    Some developers are good though, Phatware comes to mind.

If software updates bring more functionality, speed, efficiency, I'm pretty happy, if it's just, we made it prettier and cooler, plus changed the way you use it because we wanted to change something and ran out of ideas, I'm not interested.I don't understand the obsession with vanity and gimmicks in the IT industry.

8. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

I love them. I am always a big updater. I have always updated unless there was a new feature that did not interest me. I have only had one problem in 20 years; and that one was a pain, but it was solved fairly soon. I have always had Macs and Palms. Currently I have a MacBook Pro, an iPod Touch, and a Palm Centro. I am waiting for Verizon to get the iPhone and then my days with Palm will be over.

9. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Hate 'em. They almost never install cleanly, without causing other problems. And usually the 'improvements' aren't worth mentioning, unless they correct a major functional issue.

10. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I think that has largely changed with newer platforms. I've never had any problems with OTA updates with Android, either apps (which is what Ed was talking about) or even OS upgrades.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.