So, Windows 11 is out. Thoughts? Screams? Joys? Wait, Windows 11 is a thing?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by headcronie, Oct 8, 2021.

1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Not sure yet... Windows Update now says my laptop is compatible with W11, so I guess I'll have to wait for the update to appear.

But StarCraft II is not working properly. It doesn't crash as it did with the other BIOS versions, but there's some bug with the GPU and I don't know if this was caused by the new BIOS or the updated GPU driver. Whatever the reason, the screen goes black every few seconds, even after lowering SC2's video quality. Not sure if it's thermal throttling. I'll try to update the GPU driver, see if that fixes the problem.

2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Ugh, that's frustrating! :/ Sorry to hear that!

3. Hook

Hook Helga in Disguise!

Looking at a document on Lenovo's support site that was posted October 8th, it indeed appears that my two year old Thinkpad T570 is not supported and probably will not be. When I run the MS PC Health Check, everything has green checks (even TPM 2.0 enabled) except the CPU. So looks like this is not going to change. A little disappointed that a 2 year old machine is not upgradable, but so be it. Will carry on with Win 10 for now. Around 2024 I'll start looking for a replacement and turn this one into a Linux machine.

4. headcronie

Did you get that laptop 2nd hand or refurbished, Hook? I'm seeing a release date of the T570 in 2017. That said, you could still run W11 on it. I've got a Lenovo W540 (a 4th generation i7-4700mq, with TPM 1.2), and I did a clean install from a non-modified W11 ISO file straight from Microsoft. It gave me no issues what so ever during the install. UEFI secure boot enabled, TPM enabled, and an older processor. It installed without a single complaint. Drivers installed using Lenovo Vantage, and it's all good.

scjjtt, jigwashere and Hook like this.
  5. Hook

Hook Helga in Disguise!

I purchased it brand new in July 2019. Have one year left of a 3 year premium warranty on it left. I probably don't want to bother with an unsupported OS install (at least now). Win 10 is fine. Mine's an i5 CPU. You identified it earlier in this thread as a 6th gen. Maybe when it is out of warranty I'll think about experimenting.

6. headcronie

Must have been on their best sellers list. It had a good run!

Sent from my Samsung Note 20 Ultra using Tapatalk

7. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

off the topic of this thread question, but hc, for a $300 laptop, do you have any feeling for how many discharge/recharge cycles the battery should be good for? For my going on two years old Dell Inspiron 15 3000 it says on the Dell website that it should last 300 of those cycles. Given that I don't normally use it while plugged in, I started looking at external battery packs; in theory they should be more flexible than a replacement battery, since the replacement battery can only power the laptop, but the external battery packs have ports for charging cell phones, etc.

scjjtt, jigwashere and headcronie like this.
  8. headcronie

I would love to give you an answer, but in reality, I have no idea. :(

scjjtt, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  9. Hook

Hook Helga in Disguise!

Well, it was a fire sale... :vbeek: :vbrolleyes: :vbgrin:

It has been and still is a fine machine. Quiet and fast. <shrug> Who needs Win 11. :vbcool:

10. headcronie

Exactly that. You don't need it, but should you want to carry on with it past 2025, with Windows, pending things don't change from where they are now, it should still be possible. But so would the cute lil penguin OS. ;)