So, Windows 11 is out. Thoughts? Screams? Joys? Wait, Windows 11 is a thing?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by headcronie, Oct 8, 2021.

1. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Your system doesn't meet release day specs. You've got a 6th generation Intel processor. Unless you've got a Microsoft built system (Surface line) with a 7th generation processor, the bare minimum you need is an 8th generation processor. That said, it should be able to run W11, it just won't be supported by Microsoft. You'd have to jump through hoops to make the switch. You've still got 4 years left of W10, so no rush to decide.

2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Not so trivial... The switch is indeed in the BIOS, and by that I mean the updated BIOS. On this laptop I'm running an older (by 4 or 5 releases) version of the BIOS because the newer versions broke something with the GPU and this made StarCraft II crash. This is a well-known bug, because on the Dell forums there are lots of users with the exact same problem, and the only solution was to roll-back to an older BIOS. The bug arose during the covid lockdown, so of course I needed StarCraft to work to have some chance to survive the boredom. On my BIOS I disabled auto update because Dell released several versions without fixing the bug. Then I stopped looking for new data on this, so I don't know if any newer version has fixed the bug.

Right now I, can't activate the switch because some BIOS drivers are incompatible. I'd have to turn on BIOS auto update, let it run, then try the switch again, then pray StarCraft works properly. If not I'll have to decide what's more important: Windows 11 or StarCraft? Im kidding, of course ;)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  3. headcronie

Now that's a catch 22 that I wasn't prepared for. :p

scjjtt, raspabalsa, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  4. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

5. headcronie

A desktop computer like your XPS with 3rd gen i7 should be able to run W11 with a bit of footwork. But if it is working for you now, there's no reason to upgrade it. Only in 2025 would you need to decide if the system still performs well enough for you to consider upgrading or replacing it. As it is a desktop, the ease of upgrading is easier than if it were a laptop. At least you could in theory add a TPM 2 component to your system. It should have UEFI, so the only part that wouldn't meet spec would then be the processor.

I've installed W11 on a system older than 1st gen (installed on a Core 2 Duo). It took a good bit of digging, and I had to install Win XP drivers to get some components to work. Microsoft won't help you, so if you chose to go this route, you're on your own. *pats his saber-tooth tiger wounds* ;)

Thanks for the W11 links!

scjjtt, jigwashere, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  6. headcronie

So I went to activate my W11 license on my ancient Core 2 Duo system. This system was OEM'd with Vista, then through a 3rd party, refurbished and licensed with W7. Through W7, I was able to upgrade it to W10. When I installed W11, it was a fresh install on a blanked drive. The license key is stored on a sticker under the battery, so I didn't install the key manually.

Get this, Microsoft recognized the device from when I licensed it with W10. Microsoft didn't start storing license keys in the BIOS until W8. So there was no key to automatically read. Microsoft kept inventory of my system serials & hardware from before, and automatically licensed it. I don't use a Microsoft account, ever. I use local accounts, and don't have a signed in Microsoft account.

Crazy! Freaky, and crazy!

7. raspabalsa

I just folded... I activated auto-update on my laptop's BIOS, rebooted, and the BIOS updated immediately. And I mean, like in 2 seconds, even though the laptop was not connected to internet. So the update package was already downloaded somewhere, lurking in the dark. Waiting.

Ran the checker app, and now my laptop is geeenlighted for W11. I think I'll download the update tonight. And also try StarCraft II. Hope it works. If not, I may just have to enforce the "work" part of this "work laptop" :(

8. headcronie

I hope it works well for you! *fingers crossed*

9. raspabalsa

Windows Update tricked me. Earlier today it showed me the link to download W11 even though my laptop didn't comply with specs. Updated BIOS (twice), this unlocked a bunch of other updates that I already applied, ran the spec checker again, and it shows my laptop now complies. But now Windows Update insists my laptop isn't compatible with W11 and it no longer shows the download link. And I still haven't had the chance to see if StarCraft will run with the updated BIOS. My apathetic self this morning was happier than I'm now :(

scjjtt, lelisa13p, headcronie and 3 others like this.
  10. headcronie

Did you get things working correctly?

scjjtt, jigwashere and Hook like this.