So, Windows 11 is out. Thoughts? Screams? Joys? Wait, Windows 11 is a thing?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by headcronie, Oct 8, 2021.

1. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the new OS that just was released on October 5th. There are bound to be people that haven't even heard that Windows 11 is a thing. Others that are early adopters. And still others that wouldn't touch a Microsoft OS with a 10' pole.

So, what do you think? :)

scjjtt, lelisa13p, Hook and 2 others like this.
  2. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I don't know much about it, honestly. I'm curious about it and will likely go with the flow and install it when available for my laptop. I haven't read about any features I especially need.

My old desktop isn't on the list for eligibility. I likely won't attempt to bypass the rules and install it until much later.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

scjjtt, lelisa13p, Hook and 2 others like this.
  3. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I haven't read much about Windows 11, mostly because I thought it would just appear one day on Windows Update and I'd just install it. Turns out it's not so simple as that. The following message greeted me this morning on my work laptop:

image (1).png

A quick translation says this is an "update of characteristics to Windows 10" and that "the next Windows version is available..." with a button to download and install. Further down a big red "x" says this laptop doesn't meet the requirements. I don't feel any rush to install an OS so new as this one, especially if it probably won't properly on this laptop. I may check later to see what is wrong with this laptop, and if there's anything that can be done... like install Linux :D

scjjtt, lelisa13p, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  4. headcronie

What are the specs of your laptop?

5. headcronie

That would be what I'd recommend to most people as well. Let those people with "Danger" as their middle name, blaze the trails. If they come back looking like they got chewed up and spat out from a sabertooth tiger, you can feel confident in your choice. *hc gently pats his wounds* :D

scjjtt, lelisa13p, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  6. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

After multiple "nya-nya-nya, nya, you can't run W11 on this machine••• phbttttt!" I tracked down the problem(s) (excellent help provided by Dell & MS) and am now W11 capable. I'm in no hurry to change, personally.

scjjtt, lelisa13p, jigwashere and 3 others like this.
  7. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Core i7 8th gen, Radeon 530 GPU, 16GB RAM, 256 M.2 SSD, 2TB HDD, almost 3 years old, so already obsolete I guess ;)

I just ran the spec checker app, and my laptop seems to lack something Called TPM or "Trusted Platform Module". I'm not in a rush to see if this can be enabled on my laptop, mostly because I don't even know what it is. I'm simply too apathetic regarding Windows 11 :).

8. headcronie

If you're running an OEM built laptop, it's a pretty trivial toggle in your BIOS. OEMs included TPM, but most disabled it by default. I could be very wrong in this, as I've not researched exactly what the TPM module does, but I believe that is where the cryptographic keys for your system are stored, among other things.

By the specs given, your system meets requirements for W11. You just need to flip a switch. :)

9. headcronie

Less of a headache for you, when the time comes to finally upgrade. :)

Of the *hc counts the computers he has on his fingers, and then on his toes, and uhm... blushes* Yeah, well... I uh, only have one system that fits the release day specs. I'm in no rush to upgrade that system. I may have upgraded some others, just to see if I could. :thumbsup:

10. Hook

Hook Hookette says 'Tis the season!

So, I got the red X as well this morning on my 2 year old Thinkpad T570. When I used MS's app to check my laptop, it turns out my CPU (i5-6300U @2.40Ghz) is "not supported" by Windows 11. I'll check with Lenovo... I know there was a win 10 big update Thinkpads couldn't take for a while and then it got straightened out. Maybe that will happen this time too. But staying with Win 10 is fine with me.