So Symbian is NOT dead.

Discussion in 'Symbian' started by LandSurveyor, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I would say that Windows exists not because MS is such a great marketer; but because they've decided to put their considerable resources behind it, often pouring good money after bad.

2. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

And the considerable resources went into marketing. Both to consumers and to OEMs, as well as to politicians. MS makes crappy software, and always has, but it has always been incredibly good at marketing, starting with the first sale of DOS, which it bought for almost nothing and sold to IBM for a fortune. Little has changed.

3. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

4. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

A good read, actually. Some of it I expect we had already guessed but it certainly fills in a lot of blanks.

Some choice bits:
    "Carriers unhappy at choosing between being pushed around by Apple or Google are quietly pulling for Nokia."

Remember the chief at VZW saying there was room for another operating system.

"Sensing a giant on the ropes, recruiters from Intel and Google have set up shop in Helsinki hotel rooms, hoping to poach Nokia's top technologists. Thus far there haven't been mass defections, a testament to the value of national pride and extensive benefits."

5. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I guess, if you consider market as a hugely broad term.

6. ryanmacmohan

ryanmacmohan Mobile Enthusiast

I guess it is gonna "die" soon... i hrd Nokia is tryin to use MEEGO, replacing Symbian:p