So long, Sprint. Hello T-Mobile!

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by headcronie, May 22, 2021.

1. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

So, I bravely ventured out into the wild world of the public, and stores, and happened upon T-Mobile. It was bright and early in the morning, on a normal work day, so the stores were empty minus the employees. That helped reduce my social anxiety a bit. This whole thing of venturing out into places where people congregate is a bit of a challenge for this guy who has holed up since March of '20.

A month or so back, my dad had mentioned that he went to T-Mobile to look at replacing my mom's phone. No decision was made at the time regarding that, but he did get his SIM replaced. He indicated that the T-Mobile scam blocker was better than the offering that Sprint had, at least that's how he felt about it. He said the process was quite painless. Go in, identify yourself, and ask to get a new T-Mobile SIM. A few clicks on the computer new SIM in hand, and your phone just works. New T-Mobile apps to go with the new carrier, and it deletes the old ones. Okay, sounds pretty harmless. At some point, they'll start degrading the Sprint towers as they incorporate those into T-Mobile's network. At some point after that, you'll be required to get a new SIM. It's not like they're going to continue to improve or add more Sprint towers. I'm here, I might as well do it.

So, that's what I did. Mind you, this felt a bit weird. Over a decade ago, I used to work for T-Mobile. I had a BlackBerry Pearl running on the Edge network for T-Mobile while I was also sporting my Treo 755p on Sprint on the SERO plan. It wasn't long lived for me. I landed a job in my field of study that offered stable hours, and better pay. T-Mobile was quick to end my employee discount and I terminated my line of service. But here I was, back in the place I used to work, ready to rejoin team magenta. After providing my number and verifying that I'm authorized on my dad's account we were off. A few clicks on their computer, and a new SIM card was brought to the counter. "Do you have everything backed up to Google?" I'm positive of it. I don't store anything on my SIM. I learned that from when I worked here years ago.

Pop out the Sprint SIM, put in the T-Mobile SIM. A moment where the phone goes... "What just happened here?" and then... Please reboot your phone. Reboot #1, and the Sprint splash logo is gone, immediately replaced by T-Mobile, as well as their iconic jingle. It then proceeds to complete the provisioning process and requests one more reboot. As you wish... 2nd reboot, and I'm back online. My phone seamlessly removed Sprint's visual voicemail app, and call screener app. In their place, T-Mobile's visual voicemail app, and Scam Scanner app. Run through the first time setup, and both are now enabled. They're even smart enough to migrate saved voicemails you had on your Sprint app, to the new T-Mobile app.

Coincidence or not? My Note 20 Ultra had been sitting on the Feb security update, and hadn't seen anything since then. I'd been checking daily. After getting my new SIM, I checked again, and I'm now on the May update. The world may never know...

Network speeds appear the same as they were before. Seamless and painless. Thanks for all the fun years, Sprint. Hello T-Mobile. :)

2. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Congratulations on your bravery :thumbsup: and on your success! :newpalm:

RickAgresta, scjjtt, Hook and 3 others like this.
  3. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

I owe my new pixel to the sprint/tmo merger thanks to a farewell sprint firesale, so while I'm neither a sprint nor a tmo customer, it still had some benefits for me.

I am glad things went smoothly for you :hi:

4. Hook

Hook Her Clack is Worse Than Her Bite

My Pro1 is now on T-Mobile Prepaid. $15/month with over 2GB data-- since I'm mostly home on wifi these days, that's way more than I need. Works great!

5. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

I just had to buy another iPhone 12 to replace my youngest son's iPhone XR that he had dropped one too many times and was now like a quad (or more) image on the display. Instead of going through the Apple Store and picking it up there like I did my middle child a few weeks ago, I went through Sprint this time and had it shipped. At the time of purchase, Sprint advised me to activate it on a T-Mobile SIM to take advantage of 5G, so the SIM and phone came in the same box. Ironically, changing him over from the XR to the 12 literally took 10x longer than changing over my other son from an Android phone to the iPhone 12! It was a long drawn out fiasco due to no iCloud backups and the "put the two iPhones near each to transfer all the data" failing miserably. It turned out to be easier and faster to make an iCloud backup and then restore everything on the new iPhone from the iCloud. I only figured this out after wasting hours repeatedly trying to do it the other way.

...sigh... Apple ...sigh....

Anyway, during the purchase process of the lastest iPhone 12, the Sprint website repeatedly harassed me to order free T-Mobile SIMs for all my other phones that were currently on Sprint. After the 3rd time, I caved and said okay. Four T-Mobile SIM cards arrived a couple days after the iPhone 12 did. I immediately started getting nervous because with Sprint I had to get very specific (and different) SIMs for my previous Moto G5S Plus and my current Moto G Stylus. I didn't want to get trapped in a fiasco where they only send me iPhone SIMs that won't work in my Moto G Stylus so end up trapped in non-activated phone hell like I have previously with Sprint. I Googled it and the consensus seems to be that there aren't different models of SIMs on T-Mobile unlike there are on Sprint, so I decided to try it even though I was still hurting from trying to get my younger son's iPhone 12 transfered and activated.

Much to my shock and surprise, it was the easiest activation I've ever done, and it was all handled through the Sprint website by me. I selected the phone I wanted to swap SIMs, it thought about it for a few seconds, and then told me to switch out the SIMs and reboot the phone. Boom! Four bars of 4G data, which is something I've NEVER seen at my house before. Same thing with around my neighborhood -- four to five bars of 4G everywhere I go. It may not be 5G, but I'm in heaven! All other parts of my Sprint plan are still active -- even the free 50GB/month hotspot that Sprint gave me for being such a loyal long-time customer.

So now only my oldest son and dear wife are still on Sprint. I'm trying to talk the wife into switching, but she's not currently interested. She's also been bitten by the Sprint activation fiasco several times before, so she's leary of the whole thing. My oldest son is going to switch for the same reason I did -- greatly improved signal.

My only gripe so far is that I couldn't use my phone number for my voicemail -- they made me record my name instead (which I never liked to do). I begrudgingly did it, but then later when I was changing some settings on voicemail I discovered an option a couple levels in that allows me to just use my number for the greeting! Yay! Not sure why they don't let you do that when you first setup the voicemail, but...

After literally decades with Sprint, I would be feeling a little sad watching them dwindle away to assimilation, but I have to admit I'm finding it a little difficult to be sad when just about every part of the conversion process went perfect for me and is an exponential improvement overall.

RickAgresta, lelisa13p, Mi An and 4 others like this.
  6. headcronie

Internetpilot, that's great to hear that your service is perceptively better than what you had before. Makes the switch all the more compelling.

I didn't even think to look at my voicemail config. I just checked it and my saved audio clip was migrated over. No changes necessary. :)

7. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I've got 3 lines on a $15/month Sprint Kickstarter deal. I'm afraid to mess with it.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

8. headcronie

I was told that changing SIMs does absolutely nothing to your plan, and there is no cost.

Never hurts to ask, and you don't have to agree to change SIMs after inquiring.

Sent from my Samsung Note 20 Ultra using Tapatalk

9. internetpilot

Not just perceptively better -- it's more like I now have a signal where I typically didn't before (for last 15 years).

Now, one might think, "Well, Internetpilot, if you subscribed to a carrier and then got no signal from that carrier at your house for 15 years, you're a little slow on comprehension." But actually, it was true for ALL the carriers. As a matter of fact, about 16 years ago I called all the carriers, told them I was moving to a brand new development kinda in the middle of nowhere (but fairly close to a couple of somewheres) and asked if they would be providing service to that area. Sprint, AT&T, and Verizon all said "Absolutely -- you should get a strong signal there." Out of the Big Four, only T-Mobile said, "I'm very sorry to tell you that we do not offer service to that area and honestly are not planning to for at least several years." I almost wanted to go with T-Mobile just because they were honest. So I stayed with Sprint, but my two older children had Verizon and AT&T at various times, and my wife's work phone was on Verizon, and none of them got any better of a signal than I did on Sprint. And then 6 years ago we moved to Fairfax, VA, and had a great Sprint signal everywhere we went, including our home. We did keep the Florida house, though, and moved back here last Summer (in the middle of COVID), only to find out that we STILL didn't have a good signal from Sprint, but I noticed I was frequently roaming on a really strong signal (which I assumed had to be T-Mobile), so I downloaded an app that tells you what service you're roaming on and sure enough -- T-Mobile. I've been tempted to switch ever since, but like Jigwashere, I was worried I'd lose my sweet Sprint plan, and with the merger just starting to go through, neither T-Mobile nor Sprint could tell me for sure if would. Now they're finally officially saying that I can keep my Sprint plan and features, at least for now, and still be on T-Mobile service. Honestly, I think all credit goes to the iPhone 12, because they only officially stated this policy when the iPhone 12 was released since it's not possible to get 5G on Sprint.

Regardless, I'm very happy. I can finally send MMS messages to my family (who always wants my Google Camera photos) from home without going in the back yard and doing statue of liberty stance specifically facing northeast.

Speaking of voicemail, have you noticed how much T-Mobile's Visual Voicemail rocks compared to how much Sprint's Visual Voicemail sucks?

10. internetpilot

I can confirm this as I was told the same, and that has now proven to be the case for all three iPhone 12's that we added to our Sprint account (with T-Mobile SIMs) as well as my Moto G Stylus. Only my wife and oldest son are still on Sprint with (I believe) an iPhone 8 and an iPhone XR. My son will probably just switch over to the T-Mobile SIM this weekend. We might have to have a family intervention for my wife.