So how well does GPS + PPC work?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone' started by Shinno, Apr 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shinno

Shinno Crazed Owl

Hello,

I get lost. I have no sense of directions. I need a GPS system.

But before I plunge myself $100-$300 down the hole for a GPS system, how well do they work with a Pocket PC (h4155 in my case)? I've seen GPS systems in action in new Lexus vehicles or rentacars, and they're awesome... accurate and real-time... i make a left, and the darn thing shows me making a left turn.

If the GPS systems coupled with a PPC gives the same kind of performance, I'm sold. But I'm afraid that, like all handheld versions of anything, the performance will be not up-to-par with their non-handheld counterparts (e.g. Windows, Outlook, MP3 Player, Digital Camera, etc.).

Opinions, anyone? Thanks.

2. JNGold

JNGold Mobile Deity

I am using my 4150 with BT GlobalSat GPS receiver with Destinator3 software.

In a word.....awesome. My Saab 9-3SS doesn't have the option for GPS (at least not here in the states) so I went out and got the GPS package.

Thusfar, I have always reached my destination with my PPC setup. Yes, the software will recalc your route dynamically if you should miss a turn. It will also display a turn signal and use voice prompts (if preferred). It will track your progress (in real time) on the map it is displaying similar to the expensive car-systems.

The actual software differs in presentation of the directions and accuracy of the maps it uses, but the general functionality is the same.

Overall, my experiences with the hardware and software has been very positive. I would say from a functionality/feature standpoint the PPC systems are on par with the car-based systems. The downside might be that a DVD car based system may be able to hold more map data that a ppc (but I guess that depends on your storage system). Most mapping programs will allow you to store "sections" of maps and relevant Points of Interest to a storage card.

3. rob

rob Gadget Goon

I use a Toshiba e750 coupled with a Garmin eTrex Venture.

Works to near perfection. I run Mapopolis as my navigation software and can load the entire US on a 1GB CF card.

It was cheapest method for me. I already had the Toshiba. I already had two Garmins, basically the only left for me to decide on was which software to use.

4. Shinno

Shinno Crazed Owl

hey thanks for your responses...

I'm so glad to hear that the GPS works well with the PPC's. It sounds almost too good to be true.

I'm obviously a GPS newbie, so a few more ?'s:

- The map needs to be pre-installed into your PPC in order for the GPS reciever to track where you are?

- What size of an SD card would suffice for say, mapping the entire Los Angeles and Orange Counties?

Thanks again, you guys are awesome.

5. rob

rob Gadget Goon

Yes. You can store them on an SD of CF card though, and not into the main RAM.
    Well, I would say it depends on the program. I use mapoplis, and happen to live in LA County, so I can tell you that LACo is about 10.5MB, OC is 4.5MB, SDCo is a bit under 5MB, Riverside Co is abit over 4MB, and SBdo Co. is a bit over 5MB.

So for SoCal, minus Santa Barbara, you're looking at about 30MBs of map.

6. Shinno

Shinno Crazed Owl

wahoo! i have a 256mb sd card... that should do nicely.

I was a former mapopolis user on my Palm, up until my darned subscription ran out a few days after I upgraded to the pocket pc. Oh well.

- Rob: Army guy? I myself was 11B, stationed in Ft. Lewis, WA with 1st Brigade, 25th ID. Our barracks were right next to the 2nd Ranger Batt... were you there?

7. rob

rob Gadget Goon

Then you should be familiar with it. I think subscriptions are only good for that device, so it's not like you would've been able to download the PPC maps free, if you originally paid for the Palm maps. But anyways, a 256MB card would probably fit all of the Western 1/3 of the US
    Hehe, getting off topic, but no, I was never stationed at Ft. Lewis.
    Among other places, 101st Abn, Bastogne Brigade, 3/327INF at Ft. Campbell, and 3/75th Ranger at Ft. Benning. Served from 84-93.

8. netboy

netboy Mobile Consultant

if u have a PDA, getting a GPS addon is a must! after i have the gps, i never get lost.. and it helps u alot at nighttime when u cant see the street clearly..

9. bravo261

bravo261 Mobile Deity

i'm also looking at a GPS thing that can be shared with a laptop, so a bluetooth one is the most likely option, and i'm glad to hear it works well. i never actually thought about how functional it was. i'm great with sense of direction, but i just love mapping software for some reason. i have one of those lexus' cars with the gps, but that ain't enough. not until the handheld gets it(to be unused anyways)

10. rob

rob Gadget Goon

Works great with a laptop. I've used Delorme, and MS Streets, which is pretty decent on the PC version. Display is bigger, maps scroll nicely...The reason i don't run my Garmin to my laptop more often is space. The only place my laptop would fit is on the passenger seat. If someone is sitting there, the novelty of it all wears off on them, and they get tired of holding it.

But even if no one is sitting there, it's sort of distracting to be looking over onto the seat all the time. At least with my Pocket PC, I have it mounted off the windshield, pretty much in view at all times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.