Smartphones with Palm OS II Definitely Coming Next Year

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

Palm Inc.'s CEO said today that his company expects to release before the end of 2008 devices running the Linux-based operating system it currently has in development.

[​IMG]

Ed Colligan said, "Our Palm systems team... is now totally focused on delivering our next generation platform, which we expect to be available before the end of the next calendar year,"

This statement came during a conference call after Palm announced the results of its most recent financial quarter. It confirms an earlier report, which said the introduction of this operating system is 12 to 18 months away.

The company said this spring that it expected to have devices running this software on the market in 2007.

More About Palm's Next Operating System

In May of this year, Palm announced that it is developing its own operating system that will be based on Linux, but also include important parts of the Garnet OS (formerly Palm OS Garnet).

At that time, the company laid out its future plans in broad strokes, but gave few details. It even refused to give the name for this upcoming operating system, although the smart money says that it will be called the Palm OS, as Palm, Inc. now owns all the rights to the "Palm" brand. It is therefore generally referred to as Palm OS II.

Since that time, the company has consistently refused to reveal additional details. The same was true today.

Colligan says the upcoming operating system will be as easy to use as the current one, and Palm has promised in the past it will be able to run legacy Palm OS software.

"Our customers are our most important asset, and we want to be sure their transition to our next generation system -- which will extend Palm's rich heritage of innovation -- will be seamless," Colligan said today.

Related Articles

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  2. r0k

r0k Dazed

Well now. :) :) Perhaps I can suffer through with a 700p (no camera) or Centro if I can jettison the camera. At least I'd have faster data than my 650 while continuing to deal with lack of wifi, etc. To relieve my 650 memory cramps and slow data, I'm willing to take one last tug on that sippy straw that has been Palm's release of technology and in a year I should be able to get a fresh new device. I can't wait.

I'll pay extra so I can only take a one year contract and I'll be ready to jump on the next Palm OS. :newpalm:

3. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

I suppose, if you really wanted to, you could take this as good news. Fall of 2008 is better than spring of 2009. However, I still say it's too long to wait for an untried operating system.

I'm sticking with my suggestion that Palm give up on Linux and create a new "Palm OS" shell for Windows Mobile, as I proposed in this editorial:
    Palm, It's Time to Go With a Better Option Than Linux

That could ship on a smartphone next spring, and would free Palm from the need to maintain its own operating system.
    -

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. minimalposter

minimalposter some call me ... mp

I agree with Ed as usual. Having just signed a two year agreement with Sprint and Treo 755p I am already contemplating paying the ETF for another platform. I wonder what palm's fan base will be in 2008 by the time palm OS II is finally released.

5. Stirling

Stirling Packets in, packets out

Being in the nonconverged camp, I'm finding it hard to get too excited over this. Fact is if the article had said they were comming out with new OS devices next month, it still wouldn't mean a new stand alone was on the horizon. I'm awfully glad I'm as satisfied as I am with the TX because I think we've seen the last of it's kind from Palm. I think Apple will have some good alternatives in the future, but they're getting a bit too big brotherish for my liking. Not fond of them bricking my device remotely if I mod it in a way they don't like.

6. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

Yeah, being unconverged and happy with my TX, I don't quite get this either. I could see putting out a couple of new WM devices out there to fill the gap with new product, but why waste development time on skinning it to look like Palm? Liscence styletap and Missing Sync and away you go.

I disagree that they should stop developing Palm OS II, but no one ever accused me of having business sense. ;)

7. PatrickS

PatrickS Gadget Magnet

So, you're saying that, just this spring, Palm's plan had them releasing OS II devices this year and now, just a few months later, the release has been pushed back by as much as a year? Are you kidding?

Where I work, if I produced plans with that much overrun in so short a period, it wouldn't be me writing the next one.

8. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

Ed Colligan did mention more robust WM product offerings (US and Europe) in the coming months during today's analyst call, but provided no further detail. These will be targeted at enterprise customers.

9. WCox.pr

WCox.pr Mobile Enthusiast

Kiss and make up with Access?

In the meantime, I'll get myself a Nokia N95.

10. Genjinaro

Genjinaro ~3rdPrty 4ehvur!~

LOL Two good suggestions. :p

ALP or Symbian backing would fill some gaps too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.