Smartphone for non-gamer?

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Andy Stanton, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Mobile Enthusiast

I'm looking to buy my first smartphone. I intend to use it mostly for email and accessing various internet sites. Perhaps a few interesting apps, maybe some productivity, but no games. I don't care about the operating system. Obviously I need a large, sharp screen (at least 4 inches, probably more) and fast, smooth internet browsing.

I was first drawn to the iPhone, but its screen seems a bit small. I then started researching android phones, but they all seem to have problems. The Galaxy III seems to be the best all around but it's getting long in the tooth so maybe I should look further. Lately I've been looking at windows phones - the HTC 8x gets a lot of praise.

Is there any consensus about the best internet phone for a non-gamer?

2. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

It depends on what "internet" for you means. If your internet centers a lot about Google --- Google Search, Google Maps, Google Reader, GMail, YouTube, Google Earth, and so on. If you want original social networking app for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and so on. If you want a browser that syncs into your Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, and so on. You will find the most internet and open device out there to be an Android. The S3 should remain high in consideration but I would also recommend the Note 2 which is better than the S3 in every respect from speed, quality of screen and battery life. And yeah its big, but big works with Intenet viewing best, especially when you use the split screen or pop up browser. Its wickedly fast and the battery life is incredible for a 24/7 Internet connected device. Big or not, I consider the Note 2 to be a very foolproof, robust and highly useful device.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

jigwashere likes this.
  3. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Windows Phone syncs nicely with Exchange and SharePoint and has a good email client and excellent OneNote integration. I'm personally a bigger fan of the Lumia 920 than the HTC 8X if you happen to be on AT&T, but the 8X isn't bad either.

Though Google services aren't great on Windows Phone. In a bit of a feud, Google has pulled EAS support for Gmail, then it blocked WP access to Google Maps for a week (and reversed it with a variety of inconsistent explanations when it took a beating in the tech media), and now they've blocked WP devices from accessing YouTube. Playing dirty if you ask me (you don't see Microsoft blocking Android phones from accessing MSN or Bing services), but regardless, if you need Google services, be aware of that.

4. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Mobile Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. Since I'm big on Google products I should probably go with an android. The Galaxy Note II looks too big to comfortably fit in a pocket, though, so I'll probably end up with a Galaxy SIII (unless Samsung is coming out with the SIV in the next few months).

5. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Mobile Deity

I can't believe anyone would seriously consider a phone for gaming at all...not aimed at you, but the fact that you had to emphasize that it wasn't for games really makes me question the industry the direction is heading.

Anyway, I'd definitely go for a popular high-end model like the Galaxy S III because those devices are the ones that generally receive the most ROM updates and thus stay relevant the longest. You wouldn't want to wind up with something that ends up having crippled app support and so forth because it doesn't have the latest OS version.

6. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

Androids definitely the one if you're into Google things.Nexus 4, One X, SIII, Optimus G, all big screens and good internet models, depends which you like.Each has strengths and weaknesses.

I'd like to know what the problems are with android models, such is the fast moving nature of android devices is that they're all long in tooth after a few months, new ones are constantly being released, waiting for the latest and greatest is like trying to get the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow ;)

IPhone imo has a really accurate screen sensor [which partially makes up for the smaller screen] and a good range of productivity applications, very fast browser as well on the 5.