Slow Hotsync Switching Between Two Computers?

Discussion in 'Sync (Windows/Palm OS)' started by sbgreen, Sep 24, 2019.

Tags:
  1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I haven't used Palm devices in so long that I do not trust my memory about any of this.

I don't recall there being issues hotsyncing between two computers. In the early days, I would hotsync my Palm device at work and at home. As long as I didn't mind mixing business with pleasure, it wasn't a problem. :) The challenge I had was when I carried both my Palm TX and Palm 755P, and wanted to keep the same data on them. The big issue was when people tried to have two Palm devices hotsync using the same hotsync ID. I know I worked that out, but don't remember how.

I'm going to take a stab at guessing the problem. Be warned that I have no idea what I'm talking about! :)

You are trying to merge data from 3 different sources -- 2 computers and 1 palm device. Hotsync is looking at some meta-information to decide how to merge the new, changed, deleted records.

Let's start with the assumption that Computer A does not equal Computer B.

After the first Hotsync, Palm = Computer A. Next, you hotsync Palm w/Computer B. For whatever reason, I'm guessing Hotsync thinks Computer B is correct and changes everything on the Palm. So...Palm = Computer B. Unfortunately, Computer A does not equal Computer B. The data in the records might match, but the metadata hotsync uses to know that does not match and therefore hotsync goes to work, slowing down your day.

2 possible solutions:
    1. Hotsync normally with Computer A. Change the conduits on Computer B so that Palm updates Computer B. Hotsync again. All 3 devices should match. Return the conduits to normal.
    2. Hotsync normally with Computer A. Manually transfer your Palm folder from Computer A to Computer B, perhaps using a thumb drive. All devices should match.
    Before doing anything, back up the Palm folders on both computers and run NVBackup on your Palm device.

If any of this works, I'll be surprised. :) Good luck!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    scjjtt, lelisa13p and Hook like this.
  2. sbgreen

sbgreen Mobile Enthusiast

Thank you JIGWASHERE for your thoughtful comments. I very much appreciate that you took the time to understand the details of the problem and I totally agree with your analysis.

First, I have to ask: Is your name really Jig? And are you a circus arts person? My wife calls herself Jig and I do circus arts (mostly unicycling).

As for your understanding of the sync situation and your suggested remedies, I did indeed try just what you said: I treated Computer A as the primary machine. I did a hotsync there with the default sync settings. Then I went to Computer B and had the handheld device write to Computer B one way. Unfortunately, that took a half hour, so it did not save any time.

Worse yet, when I went back to sync with Computer A, computer A acted as if it had never seen that Palm before. Somehow the interaction with Computer B contaminated the metadata in a way that forced everything to be transferred over.

As you noted, syncing between two or more machines is a very obvious and necessary thing to do: One typically has a home machine, an office machine and a laptop.

scjjtt likes this.
  3. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

You'll get no arguments from me, but that doesn't change the fact that in the late 90s and early 2000s, when this software was developed, that's not how they were thinking. The assumption was basically that you would have one main computer with all your data and that the Palm would be the satellite data device that would go with you everywhere else.

One thing to check, following up on Jig's always good advice, is whether the Palm file tree is identical on both machines. Same versions of Palm Desktop, installed in exactly the same path (C:\program Files\... or C:\User\Username\Documents.. I've seen a lot of variations). Any slight difference is going to mess with things even when you do handheld overwrites desktop.

If you don't mind the possibility of having to retype in key codes for your programs (if any were purchased), you might still try deleting saved and unsaved preferences from both the TX and your computer, then try Jig's advice again. There could be something corrupted in there mucking with things.

I don't remember if the PD installer let you select where the data gets stored on your computer. I wonder what would happen if you used a shared Dropbox or Google Drive location. Just a crazy thought I had to trick the two computers into using the same shared folder. Probably wouldn't work.

I keep hoping that if I toss enough of this around something I've forgotten about will come back to me, but I still have the impression that this isn't really how the Palms were designed to work.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    scjjtt and lelisa13p like this.
  4. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

No, my name isn't jig and I'm not a circus person. I have gotten laughs at work by asking aloud in meetings, "which of you clowns runs this 3-ring circus?" I'm not sure why they assumed I was making a joke. :rolleyes:

I like Hook's suggestions and hope you'll give them a shot.

Solving the slow hotsync problem could have other, outside-the-box solutions. Do you really need to do a 2-way hotsync with 2 computers? To ask another way, are you making changes to your data on all 3 devices prior to trying to merge everything? If you are working with computer A and want to merge that data with Palm, you probably can change the conduits to go 1-way (to the Palm). Your next hotsync with Computer B, set the conduits to update from Palm to the PC. In other words, you might be able to solve this by changing your workflow.

This may have been discussed earlier in this thread, but have you tried determining which conduit is taking so long (set all but one to 'Do nothing')?

[​IMG]

Other outside-the-box solutions: Migrate away from Palm to contemporary solutions offered by Android or Apple; explore 3rd party options like CompanionLink; hotsync with only 1 computer and find a way to transfer the Palm files to the other computer (e.g., Dropbox).

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    scjjtt, lelisa13p and Hook like this.
  5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I'm assuming you are using the same Hot Sync ID for both computers? Have you tried using a unique ID for each PC, where the content in each ID is "identical"? I don't recall how easy/difficult it is to copy one HS ID using Palm Desktop; it might be easier to do it on the PC.

scjjtt likes this.
  6. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I'm not sure that even today, syncing between 2 computers is all that necessary (for some it might be). I mostly synced with Desktop as a backup. Sure, there might be a situation where you recently added contacts, tasks, or appointments that you'd like to access on a 2nd machine that hasn't been synced yet; but I think if you establish a routine, you can surmount that issue. For example, I might develop a routine where I designate one computer (say the daytime/work computer) as the 'sync between Palm and computer' machine and the 2nd computer (home) as 'device (Palm) overwrites computer' machine. Or you could reverse it.

I have been here long enough to remember the threads where it was discussed using the same Palm-name for 2 different Palms. I bet you could dig out that thread if necessary.

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.