Slow Hotsync Switching Between Two Computers?

Discussion in 'Sync (Windows/Palm OS)' started by sbgreen, Sep 24, 2019.

Tags:
  1. sbgreen

sbgreen Mobile Enthusiast

I am doing a Hotsync between my Palm TX and two different PCs. Each time I switch PCs, it starts all over with a long, slow sync. As if it has never synched to that PC before. Is there any trick to make it faster?

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

It's been ages since I've run a HotSync, but there are settings that should help. Unfortunately, I don't recall which they are…exactly.

It sounds like all the enabled conduits are set to have either the Palm or the PC to overwrite the other, totally, and not to just update new items. Hope that's some help, good luck!

lelisa13p, Hook and scjjtt like this.
  3. sbgreen

There are not that many conduit settings. I tried each of them already. I am not aware of any setting that selects just to update new items. Unless someone can point me to a hidden setting that I may have missed.

4. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Again, I also have not used Hotsync in a very long time. The settings Rick eas talking about is the default action set for the conduits, whether they sync, desktop ovewrites device or whether device overwrites desktop. You want sync, but iirc that is the default and even if changed will restore to the sync setting after the next hotsync.

My memory is foggy (and not just about Palm Desktop :vbwink:), but I seem to recall that trying to sync one Palm to two computers was always tricky. I think it has to do with the way hotsync sets up flags so it knows what has been synced.

Sorry, I'm really not much help. As long as the two hotsyncs are actually working, it may be best just to put up with the slowness.

scjjtt, lelisa13p and RickAgresta like this.
  5. sbgreen

When I say "slow" I mean that it takes about a half hour to sync. I hope you understand that this is impractical. I was hoping someone with some knowledge of this might have something to offer.

6. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Maybe you could try an 'experiment' -- sync w/ only 1 of the PC's, and after "a while" run HotSync again on the same PC. if it is faster, then Hook's suggestion has merit -- the process gets confused if you sync w/ more than 1 PC.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    scjjtt, lelisa13p and Hook like this.
  7. Hook

Well, no, I didn't know. You just said slow. We're not mind readers. :vbrolleyes:

Rick A is right. You need to break down the different parts of this process. You need to, as he suggests, try first to get it working on just one computer to see whether that goes correctly.

Do you have NVbackup for your TX. If not, get it HERE. NVbackup will make a complete snapshot of your TX which can be restored from the SD card. This will be very helpful, because the next logical step in trouble shooting if the above doesn't work is to hard reset the TX and see what happens if you try to rebuild it, again with only one Palm Desktop. Before that step you could try deleting saved and unsaved preferences, but there you will also have to enter key codes to unlock purchases apps, but those two files can create problems sometimes.

Once you have it running smoothly on one computer, then you can explore the second computer and may be better able to diagnose where the problem occurs.

Good luck.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  8. sbgreen

Yes, it works just fine if I Hotsync with one computer repeatedly. And it works just fine if I Hotsync with another computer repeatedly.

The problem is: If I switch from Hotsync with Computer A and then Hotsync with Computer B. In that case, the first time I Hotsync with Computer B it takes a half hour. If I do it again with Computer B it takes two minutes. If I go back to Computer A it takes a half hour. Even though I had already done a Hotsync with Computer A earlier.

The same thing happens if I switch back to Computer B: It will take a half hour to sync after making the switch to Computer B. Even though it had already done a fast sync with Computer B earlier.

As for NVbackup, yes, I use it all the time. But your suggestion makes no sense to me. It does a sync just fine with each computer. It is just that switching between computers takes a half hour each time I switch.

Maybe it is just a basic bug in the entire Hotsync system. I am really hoping that someone who is familiar with this bug will reply. A Google search indicated others have had this problem. But I could not find a solution.

9. Hook

Thanks for the clearer explanation. No, you don't need a hard reset. I hope someone else can come up with a solution, but everything I remember from using a Palm TX years ago gives me the impression that hotsyncing to two different computers is perilous.

I'm stepping out now because that's all I have.

RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  10. sbgreen