Skype for webOS?

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by Matt J, Mar 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt J

Matt J Mobile Deity

Could Skype be developed for the Palm Pre using the webOS web-based programming languages? Or is it something to complex for web-programming?

2. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

I don't think it could, but I'm not a programmer. Could someone who knows more than I do please chime in?

-

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

It would be a propietory add in, much like the Gmail and Facebook pieces are added into the webOS apps. But its defintily possible. Also, Skype has recently gone to supporting SIP, which would make a it a lot easer for webOS to play nicely with it.

EDIT (something additional to note):
    Because of the nature of webOS, many applications will be merly plugged into the system, rather than having that "layer" of clicking on a program icon in order to access it. Again, referencing the Palm webOS demos, remember how it would impoty GMail, FB, and LinkedIn contacts? The same kind of "plugin" would be the route for webOS and Skype, thereby making it easier to manage those contacts you already have, and "sync" them with Skype on the device side.

4. Ed Hardy

Antoine, wouldn't Palm have to be involved in what you're suggesting? I think Matt's question was if Skype could write a client without Palm's direct help.

-

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

I have the feeling that Sprint might not be ready to give up charges for international minutes. But I did see that the EU is pressing for Skype on all handsets on Engadget earlier today. It will take a long time for Congress to understand what consumers want vs. what carriers' lobbyists are telling them.

6. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

They could; but I'm not sure that Skype will want to.

7. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

Skype is already available for Linux. All those Asus eePCs with Linux got Skype bundled in them. Given that webOS and for that matter, Android, it will be a short step away get Skype running in those.

8. Ed Hardy

Here's an official statement about this from Skype:

9. Hellweek

Hellweek PPC C++ Developer

So far I have not seen anyway to directly work with the socket layer that must exist on the Palm Pre.

The docs are not great for the API and I am still looking. However, as this OS is very WebCentric in how it works it will take work on both Palm and Skype is my guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.