Skype Comes to Palm OS Treos

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, Apr 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

There has been a version of&Skype for Pocket PCs for several years, but until now Palm OS users have been high and dry.

Now, however, a company called&EQO Communications&has introduced an application that lets some of the latest Treo models use this service to&make voice calls for free.

EQO Mobile is a plug-in which runs on a Windows PC, connecting&a Skype user account to the mobile phone.

It supports both the Treo 600 and 650, but requires that a a Java runtime environment (J2ME) be installed on the phone. It also requires a Windows PC and, of course, a free Skype account.

This application is currently in beta, and is therefore free. At some point in the future, the beta period will end and its developer will begin charging for it. It is not yet known what the price will be.

EQO Mobile for Skype lets users make and receive calls, send instant messages, and view presence information about their buddies over the Skype network.

It is available now from the EQO Communications&web site.

More Than Just Treos

EQO Mobile works on more than just Palm OS smartphones. It also supports Motorola ROKR, SLVR, and RAZR handsets.

In addition, it will run on some of the most popular devices from Nokia and Sony-Ericsson.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  2. interlard

interlard Mobile Enthusiast

You don't *just* need a Windows PC to install it. According the the website you need Skype running on your Windows PC (and your PC switched on) in order to make or recieve calls.

3. Ed Hardy

You are absolutely correct, and I've updated the article with this info.

4. Ed Hardy

It would be nice if there were some way to use this on a handheld, rather than a smartphone. As the Palm OS Treos don't have access to Wi-Fi, I don't see where this is much use; you still have to make a phone call. Still, I suppose if you do a lot of international calling or didn't have a calling plan with free long distance then I guess I see the advantages.

5. r0k

r0k Dazed

What about simultaneous data and voice on a CDMA phone? That sounds like a big win if it is true. I could use the Treo skype in speakerphone mode while surfing the web in blazer (if the skype program supports backgrounding like the phone app does). Quite a few unknowns, but promising nonetheless.

6. Ed Hardy

I heard back from EQO Communications with some pricing information.

At this point this application is free, but eventually it will come out of beta and the company is going to have to start charging for it.

7. DragonHunter

DragonHunter Bow, bow, bow, bow

Any way to make this work on a TX with an external mic? Or is it Treo-specific in some hardware sort of way?

8. minimalposter

minimalposter some call me ... mp

I AGREE (sorry for shouting).

9. djhayn

djhayn Mobile Consultant

I think for me it's one of those because you can type things. I just bought my Treo and Skype was the only reason I wasn't going to. But being a Mac user I just couldn't buy that Windows mobile phone.

Skype has been spending a bunch of money lately, maybe they'll buy these guys out and get me a Mac version too.

10. djhayn

djhayn Mobile Consultant

I'm hesitating on this, don't like giving my mobile # out to anyone. Has anybody else tried it yet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.