SkinUI skin development

Discussion in 'Themes and Skins (Palm OS)' started by Cerebrious Genius, Aug 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cerebrious Genius

Cerebrious Genius Mobile Deity

I have been trying to make a skinui skin for the past cupple of days, and I finally have all of the bitmaps I need. However, when I try and compile them, it gives me some error about how it exceeds the safe hotsync size.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Does anyone have a workaround or another way to make the skin?

-Thanks

2. palmgeek5394

palmgeek5394 Nokia N800 + HTC Wizard

Run compile.bat, wait for it, then press enter to close it. You can't just close it. Pressing enter executes something in pilrc, then exits as far as I can tell.

3. Cerebrious Genius

It says 'push any key', and so I do. Then it exits. I am left with some kind of PRC that I can't decompile with PFCD or even hotsync.

4. Strife89

Strife89 Always Struggling

You can't hotsync it? I'm no developer, but have you tried the long road?

In other words, try copying the .prc to an SD card using a card reader (not your Palm!), then use a file manager on your Palm (such as Filez or UniCMD) to try to install it (or just copy it to /PALM/Launcher and see if it loads from there).

5. Jupiter

Jupiter Mobile Evangelist

What do you mean you can't hotsync? What is happening wrong?

6. palmgeek5394

palmgeek5394 Nokia N800 + HTC Wizard

Some skins won't sync. Some I've made (but never released) Hotsync, while a simple edit of it can make the skin not sync. You put SkUI skins in Palm\Programs\SkinUI. You can't decompile Skin UI, PalmRevolt, or Pocket Tunes skins with PFCD because they all use their own compression schemes.

7. Cerebrious Genius

Ok, sorry for being so non-descript.

Even if I do a computer-PDA hotsync, the file would not go through to the palm. So I tried installing it to the card with a card reader. When I tried to copy it over to the palm using fileZ or UniCMD, it gave me some kind of an error msg. I got it to copy over after a few tries, but it wasn't seen by SkinUI

But now I found out that I was doing something wrong with hotsync, and that the file wasn't in the correct location for SkUI to be seeing it.

Palmgeek pretty much answered my question.

Thanks

8. authorandrew

authorandrew Now on Ay3sha

I am interested in SkinUI development, and it appears to me all you need for making a skin is .bmp's of everything plus a compiler? :confused:

Is there a SkinUI skin '101' or something on the web somewhere that I could use?

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.