SIM Cards + Mobile Broadband + Router's Questions

Discussion in 'Other Platforms' started by NetBrakr, Feb 5, 2016.

1. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

Hook, while I have At&t's 15GB mobile share plan, I am not using it for tethering.

Right now I am also using Simple Mobile's 4GB prepaid plain, that is what I am using it for tethering.

2. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

I've never had an issue using AT&T for tethering, with no tethering plan. Maybe they know, maybe they don't, but they've never said anything. I don't use it a lot, but I do sometimes. I have no idea how they would know, unless they can somehow read the IP or MAC of the device(s). I just set my phone to be a hotspot and log on with whatever device I have, usually my chromebook, sometimes a tablet. We have the 15GB mobile share plan also, shared between 8 phones, and it's plenty for what we do.

NetBrakr likes this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I don't know, and when I search for an answer, it seems like there's a lot of conflicting information out there. I have often modified my phones to allow for undetected tethering, but was unsuccessful with my last phone (maybe my last 2 phones). The PureNexus ROM on my Nexus 6 allows for undetected tethering. The reality for me, however, is that I almost never use it. I'm usually within range of a secured WiFi network, or simply use my phone for whatever internet needs I might have.

4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

As I recall, the cellular provider can "see" indicators that tell it if the traffic involves non-phones; for example, if the browser being used provides telltale info that it is on a pc (rather than on a phone), that's one way. iirc, there's a difference between a physical tether and a hotspot, from the providers perspective. used to be, hotspot was an additional charge, so physical tethering was a way around that. keep in mind that my only experience with this was on a 3G Verizon phone (plan did not include use as a hotspot, so I tethered; never heard anything from them, but never used a lot of data, either)

5. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Probably low risk then. I think it's why Gophone actually explicitly allows tethering. You are buying a bucket, not ongoing service. They don't care how you use your bucket.

I also suspect you would have to use a lot to get them to pay attention. And maybe they really don't. Again, I've never used a carrier under contract, so what do I know. :vbwink: :vbrolleyes:

RickAgresta likes this.
  6. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Good points on tethering v. hotspots, although one wonders why the carrier would care that much about the distinction.

7. NetBrakr

I am finally going to try this. Will order a hotspot device (unlocked) tomorrow evening. And probably stopping by at a MetroPCS store tomorrow, hopefully I will like the plan, if not, I will use TMobile.

8. NetBrakr

RA, now you got me thinking, hotpot vs tethering.

What about the speed? For example, tmobile's new ONE plan had unlimited "hotspot" but it's only 2G speed. What about "tethering", either BT or USB? Will I get the slow speed or high speed?

9. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

The surest way is to try it, my friend. Keep in mind that a device acting as a hotspot will use more power than one accessing the 'net on its own (thinking phone here) -- that said, I'd be surprised if the hotspot device can't be attached to a power source while in use.

10. NetBrakr

I got MetroPCS unlimited plan, and I like it alot, 10mbps+

I am postponing the hotspot device.