SIM Cards + Mobile Broadband + Router's Questions

Discussion in 'Other Platforms' started by NetBrakr, Feb 5, 2016.

1. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

Hi guys,

I have questions about these three above. First lets start with SIM cards, is there any difference between a SIM card that normally goes to a phone vs a SIM card that goes to a tablet/USB device?

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

My guess is no but your mobile provider could definitely answer that

3. Hook

Hook Nexus or Nothin'

My only esperience with a tablet with a sim card was my Nexus 7 which had 3G. The sim for the tablet was the same size as my phone sim at the time (I didn't have any minis or nanos back then). Obviously the programming would have been different. I never tried using a phone sim in the tablet, but I would expect that not to work. AT&T let me do Pay-as-you-Go, but it was a separate tablet plan. I never found cellular data to be that useful on a tablet because I was around WiFi so much and eventually flashed a WiFi only ROM which took away the ability to use cellular.

4. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

It might be worth searching back on BH (unfortunately the search functions aren't very good). I seem to recall someone posting about using the same SIM with the $30/month talk & data plan from Walmart in a tablet and a phone.

5. NetBrakr

Here is what I am trying to do.

T-Mobile has special plan for family, unlimited LTE, but it doesnt say tablet included. If I go to tablet's plan, there is limited LTE plan, and very expensive for only one device if you choose the highest GB plan.

http://www.t-mobile.com/offer/family-data-plans.html
    http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/mobile-internet.html

So I wondering getting this USB device or something similar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unlocked-AT...311560?hash=item1c5fbd1548:g:PvcAAOSwLN5Wl-ic

And hook that USB device to a router like this one to replace my SLOW DSL.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TP-LINK-TL-...900964?hash=item5d5e878fa4:g:eK8AAOSw~bFWLz8I

So do you think it might work or not?

6. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

On a technical level, no. The SIM is just the key to get on the cell network.

I see two problems. One, the USB device is for AT&T, so it doesn't seem to support all the frequencies T-Mobile uses, and it definitely doesn't support LTE. Also, you might have trouble making a router play nicely with a USB aircard, since you wouldn't be able to install drivers.

A simpler solution might be to simply buy an older or pre-paid T-Mobile smartphone and set it up as a permanent WiFi hotspot using a tethering app.

jigwashere and EdmundDantes like this.
  7. NetBrakr

Thanks Adama for your input.

Right now, I am using Simple Mobile in one of my phones, it is faster than At&t, using 3G. around 9mbps vs 6mbps for At&t. SO it is much faster than my DSL. Also I dont need LTE speed, just unlimited high speed, so 3G is perfect for me.

I do have two spare phones but there is one problem with that, lack of range for every people in the house using it.

8. EdmundDantes

If you're thinking of 'tying' yourself to a router like that, why not cobble together a cheap family cell plan that either includes a MiFi of some kind or adding a MiFi (even pay as you go) to your family package.

9. NetBrakr

Again lack of range, Ed.

10. EdmundDantes

I wonder if there's a way to hook up a MiFi to a home router, so that the range of the MiFi cell signal can be converted to a wider WiFi range.

jigwashere likes this.