Sim card not detected problem

Discussion in 'Palm' started by ThirdMan, Feb 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThirdMan

ThirdMan Mobile Enthusiast

I have been experiencing the "SIM card not detected" problem recently. I tried the soft and hard reset solutions suggested elsewhere in these forums but no difference.

I am sure the problems only started when I upgraded the OS.

Palm's answer was to ask me to return the unit for a replacement under warranty.

Question: I am sure that the problem was introduced when I upgraded the OS - does anyone know if the replacement unit will have the latest version of the OS? I am hoping that it will not be so that I may ignore the update and have a working phone.

Anyone have any tips on how to get problem-free mobile phone functions?

This is the second time I have had to get a replacement under warranty - I only bought the unit in December so it has been a huge disappointment.

2. xinj

xinj Mobile Evangelist

the replacement TW will most probably be an updated one. dont you fear the update, it has nothing to do with not recognizing your sim-card. see if the sim-door is locked properly. and before getting the TW replaced i would recommend you to reinstall the upgrade, i have heard that many people ended up with incomplete updates and got their TWs running properly after doing a reinstallation of the upgrade. the upgrade is worth it so go for it.

3. ThirdMan

The SIM card door is working ok - I even wedged a piece of card behind the SIM card to make sure it is making a good contact.

I think it is significant that the problem only arose after I applied the update.

Once the "SIM card not detected" message is displayed it just keeps coming up regardless of the contact with the SIM card. I have to do a hard reset and then the mobile phone application will run ok until the next call is made or received.

I have noticed that the phone function will operate for days in standby mode but usually crashes with a "SIM card not found" message once you complete a call.

I am convinced that this is a software problem that seems to be linked to the prefs written by the mobile phone application after it has completed a call.

Since I did not have the problem before I applied the update I am assuming that the update introduced the problem.

I therefore want to go back to the OS the worked ok before the update.

4. ThirdMan

Sadly Palm support are as much use as a chocolate teapot when you try to discuss the problem with them.

The solution is always "return the unit for a replacement under warranty"

When this unit returns it will be the third I have had in less than three months.

I think that they can swap the units from now until doomsday - the problem is in the software.

5. fabcanabal

fabcanabal Mobile Enthusiast

Palm support everywere is terrible. I have similar problem with my W but it happened even before the upgrade, and placing objects or doing so to ?help" make the card better contact, is useless. The last thing to do i recomend before sending the unit back is doing a hard reset, redo the update and operate it with no other apps for a while, to see if the mobile app interacts with others. I that does not work.... send the unit for replacement. Best regards

6. knowism

knowism Newbie

this problem is simply a mechanical problem. we had this same problem with two of our TW units and all we did was to stick a clear tape on top to prevent the SIM cover from moving.

we had this problem even before we upgraded..

hope this helps.

7. ThirdMan

Well, the replacement TW arrived this afternoon. I inserted my SIM card and stuck it on charge.

20 mins later (as it sat on a desk without being moved or touched) up came the "SIM card not found" message and the unit switched itself off.

This is the third unit I have had. I reckon Palm are pulling my plonker by continuing to deny this is a known problem and just offering a replacement unit.

I will be on the phone to them asap for a full refund or a swap for a different model.

I think a call to the Trading Standards office might be helpful too.

8. benswe

benswe Member

...gotta be something wrong with that SIM-card of yours... check with your op

9. Abbey

Abbey Goldmember

I agree. SIM cards are not immune to failure. The SIM card may be resetting periodically, causing your TW's mobile to power down.

10. ThirdMan

OK.

This TW is my first PDA - I admire you guys and your faith in Palm.

I will head down to Vodafone tomorrow for a new SIM card and see if that cures the problem.

More bulletins later!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.