Silent mode but not alerts/reminders

Discussion in 'iOS / iPhone' started by melmoe, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melmoe

melmoe Mobile Consultant

I'm loving my new iPhone. It has replaced my HP iPaq 110 Classic for which I used all the time. I especially liked using it to enter info in the calendar and then having a nice audible reminder to make me not forget things. So, I'm planning to use my iPhone to do the same thing. The problem is, that I'm a teacher so I can't have my phone set to ring during the day. However, I do need to be able to here reminders from my calendar events. Can I set it to be silent except for reminders?

2. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

I'm not an iphone expert, I'm sure they will be along, but just as a first suggestion, you should be able to put the phone in airplane mode and still have reminders work (assuming the reminders are on the phone calendar and not somewhere on a web calendar).

3. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

I don't have an iPhone handy, but somewhere in the settings you should be able to turn off the ringer and email notifications but leave calendar tones on.

Unfortunately, there's no profiles program like there is for Windows Mobile, so you need to manually do that every time.

If you can survive on just vibrating alerts just flip the switch to vibrate.

4. RobbM

RobbM Big Shot in the Lab

If you switch the phone to silent (the physical switch on the side) it silences everything. Unfortunately, there's no way to silence the ring without silencing the notifications (except airplane mode, as indicated above).

There is a way around this. You can make--and possibly get--a silent ringtone. On a Mac, you can do this thru Garageband, if you're a DIYer. I'm willing to bet that you should be able to find silent ringtones available for free or cheap online. Install it thru iTunes and then select it as your default ringtone. Then do nothing. When a call comes in, the phone "rings" with no sound. You can shut vibration off, too, so you'll be none the wiser for calls, but still get whatever notification you like for other stuff.

5. Green Loontern

Green Loontern Gustatus similis pullus

I set mine to vibrate even when the sounds are switched off via the physical switch on the side, and keep the iPhone in my pocket. This provides me with non-disruptive alerts to calendar events.

6. melmoe

melmoe Mobile Consultant

Thanks a lot for the replies. If I put it on airplane mode, will I still get voice mails? Or does it completely shut down the phone aspect?

7. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

No. Airplane mode turns off the phone radio entirely.

8. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

A point of clarification. Yes, you will still get voicemails. Your phone, however, won't know that you've gotten a voicemail, as it is denied access to connecting to the network. Voicemail is stored on the network, not on your phone.

9. RobbM

RobbM Big Shot in the Lab

10. melmoe

melmoe Mobile Consultant

Thanks everyone!