Should USB debugging be let always on? Titanium Backup says so, OS says otherwise

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by raspabalsa, Feb 22, 2012.

1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I've been setting up my GP5 after I hard reset it yesterday. While I restored some apps with Titanium backup, I noticed that if I keep USB Debugging off, whenever I launch Titanium Backup I get the following message:
    But if I do tick the USB debugging checkbox, the OS flashes the following warning:
    Press Ok, then go to Wireless and network -> USB Settings, I get this message:
    If I tap OK, USB debugging is automatically disabled, then I see the three USB connection options: Samsung Kies, Media player, and Mass storage, and can select either one (I select Mass storage).

But if exit this screen, and re-enable USB debugging, I can still mount my GP5's drives (internal and SDHC card) to the computer by connecting the USB cable, then rolling down the status bar, tapping USB mass storage, then tapping "Connect storage to PC". However, if I do this, the two drive letters get changed on My PC (I had set letters near the end of the alphabet), meaning that the computer sees them as different drives. Disabling USB debugging and reconnecting to computer restores the original drive letters. In either case (USB debugging on and off) I can copy, create, move, and delete files normally on both drives.

Bottom line: Should I follow the OS's warnings, or Titanium Backup's? For normal daily usage, considering my GP5 is already rooted and I don't plan to install any custom ROM, I don't think I gain anything by keeping USB debugging on. But then why does TB warn that leaving it off can cause problems? What problem, if any, can be caused by leaving USB debugging off?

2. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

As far as I'm concerned, the OS warning is just behind covering. I always have debugging on.

Via Tapatalk

3. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

Titanium backup needs the debugging enabled to do some of its functions. The first popup you listed just warns you that an app can access more things on your device. If you trust Titanium Backup, and the other apps, don't worry about it. I leave it enabled most of the time, and have noticed no problems. I think it's mostly a liability issue, and the manufacturer doesn't want to be sued if something happens while debugging is enabled.

4. raspabalsa

I guessed so, but knowing others do that it's reassuring.
    Ah, I had no idea about this. I thought TB's area of action didn't reach the USB drivers and settings. I suppose I have to RTFM. I will leave USB debugging on, as I have not noticed any problem by doing so, other than the change of drive letters, which I can easily fix.

5. raspabalsa

A follow-up question: since you leave USB debugging on all the time, this means you can only mount the device as mass storage, right? You can't mount it as media player, or connect to Kies, can you?

6. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I don't know what you mean by "mount as media player ". Nexus One doesn't have that.

Kies is exclusively Samsung, I believe.

Via Tapatalk

7. raspabalsa

On my GP5, I have the option to mount is as a media player (MTP device) under USB settings. I thought it was also available on your devices.

I know Kies is Samsung-only. But since both you and Gosnell have Samsung devices, I thought you had used this option.

8. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Pretty sure the Nexus One is made by HTC;
    my moto DroidX gives the choices of Charge Only; PC Mode; Windows Media Sync; USB Mass Storage. and I always leave USB Debugging enabled

9. raspabalsa

You're right, I confused Hook's Nexus with the newer Galaxy Nexus, so I thought it also had the Kies connection option. Sorry about that.

10. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

I have the choice of mounting my Samsung phone as a media player, mass storage, or with Kies. I seldom actually mount it, though. If I want to play music from it, I use bluetooth. If I want to transfer files, I remove the microSD card and transfer that way. I've only used Kies once, to upgrade to Gingerbread. I've never seen much advantage in USB tethering. YMMV.