Should I Wait For Palm, Buy A TX or Nokia Device?

Discussion in 'PDAs and Handhelds' started by LoungeLover, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoungeLover

LoungeLover Mobile Enthusiast

I've been waiting to buy a very nice Palm OS (or Linux OS based) PDA for a few years now. I'm still without one but need one. Got a hold of a Windows-based PDA about a year ago and barely used it, by choice.

I've been mulling over the Palm TX but I would prefer a much brighter screen, and I need WIFI capability built-in that does not require that I set up cell service to use it. I do NOT want a Smartphone as I'm happy with my Cricket cell service and still do not want a Windows device. :)

So, I waited again for Palm in 2006. They released new devices but they were all smartphones with no WIFI capability!!! I am a person that needs to track appointments, take notes and check email away from home. Consider me disappointed and still searching.

Should I get the TX, the new Nokia Internet device or wait to see if Palm will bring out a more powerful PDA with WIFI (not a smartphone) in '07?

Thanks...

2. AZ-TE

AZ-TE Audiophile

I recommend getting a TX. I would be floored if Palm brought out a new "traditional" PDA. I've had my TX for over a year now and it has been a solid device.

I use its wifi ability often, and when I am not in range of a hot spot I connect through my phone via bluetooth.

3. Polychrome

Polychrome ...has a lightsaber

Frankly, I'd take a windows mobile PDA over a smartphone, but there aren't many of those anymore either.

Glad to know there's at least one other person in the "QUIT MAKING THOSE FREAKIN' SMARTPHONES AND GIVE US A *REAL* PDA!" crowd.

I remember the happy days when I purchased about 1 new palm a year. It was such a fun and exciting time. I wish for such days to return.

I'd consider getting a TX, but I'm holding out hope that this "Hawk" device is something new and exciting.

4. AZ-TE

AZ-TE Audiophile

I miss those days too! I loved reading all the speculations, seeing the teaser photos, and drooling over the specs.

5. LoungeLover

6. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

Bear in mind that you have spent years holding out for a perfect something that may or may not not... whilst denying yourself the pleasures of palm use now, Loungelover. There is hardly ever such thing as the ultimate 'perfect' device. :)

7. Polychrome

Polychrome ...has a lightsaber

Yeah, the sad part is there was a time when I felt naked if my palm wasn't in my purse. Now I merely feel "inconvenienced". My DS is getting all the attention these days.

Nine, I don't think any of us want a "perfect" device. We want to be able to start coming here and drooling and hyping again, ya know? It was so much fun. :(

8. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

But for Loungelover to wait for years whilst saying that he or she actually needs one? The minute you purchase something it starts to become obsolete - the very second you carry it out of the shop. Buy something that suits you now Loungelover - and make good use of it. Whatever you buy, something better will be along straight afterwards. It's just the way of technological life. :)

9. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

I can't comment on the Nokia, having not used one, but my advice would be to buy something now. You could conceivably wait forever for someone to release something more suitable, and your only real options will remain Palm, Windows, and Nokia, since almost nobody else seems to be making Linux devices broadly available anymore. The only other thing I can think of is the "Pepper Pad," which is basically a WiFi web tablet with a hard drive. Terribly expensive though, at $650.

10. LoungeLover

The Pepper is not quite what I would want but the Nokia N800 is a consideration. I have to say though that it's been long enough for the next PDA toy from Palm to make mobile computing life a bit better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.