Sharp LCD - Yuk!

Discussion in 'Palm' started by grantorinosport, Mar 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grantorinosport

grantorinosport Mobile Evangelist

The other day I just installed a new glass digitizer into my spare TX. While I had it apart I noticed it was the Sharp LCD.

My main TX (purchased new in Feb 2009) has a Topoly (sp), and it is bright and looks really nice.

This "spare" TX is a used unit I bought in good condition (not used a great deal), but I suspect it is from the 2006 timeframe based on when the original owner thought he had purchased it.

I did some research here at Brighthand and found the old thread where Raspabalsa and Konrad Pierce were discussing the LCD differences.

I can concur that the Sharp LCD is not as nice as the Topoly as far as brightness is concerned.

My question is as follows: Raspabalsa - you had installed a Sony LCD from a T3 previously and liked it very much until it broke, but you replaced it with a Topoly and were satisfied. I would like to change the LCD in my Spare, is it worth me buying used T3's on ebay until I find a Sony, is it worth it?

From your previous research, the Sony was a clear winner in every aspect except brightness, where it was rated medium. I think I could live with that, but fast forward a couple years do you still feel as strongly about the Sony being superior by a clear margin?

2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Actually, I have no Toppoly screen. When the Sony LCD broke I replaced it with one of the Sharp spares I have around.

I've been considering getting a new LCD for my TX, but lately I've invested quite some money in it (powerSDHC, new batteries, second TX with broken screen, IR keyboard, etc), so I'm delaying the decision for now. Getting a used T3 is an interesting option, but you must be careful, because not all T3s were built with Sony LCDs. You run the risk of getting one with the dim Sharp screens. Make sure the buyer understands the difference and guarantees that the screen is indeed Sony before purchasing it.

It's easy to tell if a T3 has a Sony screen. You don't need to take the T3 apart. Just extend the slider, and look at the bottom edge: you should see a row of orange lights at the very edge of the slider. This is a reflection of the backlight LEDs, which are white, but when the light is reflected from the slider flat cable it turns orange.

If you can get a cheap T3 with a Sony screen I'd say go for it. The difference is really striking, as I said in that thread. But also compare prices with those advertised in UsedPdaParts to be sure you're making a good purchase.
    Yes, definitely. A measure of the difference: back when I used the Sony screen I adjusted color settings (brigthness, saturation, contrast, color offset) on CorePlayer and TCPMP just once, then I'd watch my movies and never again changed any setting except when lowering the brightness late at night. With the Sharp screen I'm never satisfied and with every movie I feel the need to re-adjust all the settings, especially contrast and saturation. I must turn the green and blue all the way down for the image to look good, but even then I'm not satisfied. I must increase the brightness almost to 100, and contrast to 15 to 20 to get good playback. And every time I watch a movie I miss my Sony screen. I think I'd be satisfied with either a Sony or a Toppoly.

3. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

This screen issue comes up often. Do you know who supplied the LCD's for the LifeDrive and the T5?

I'm still impressed by the display on the LD. It's very bright (I dial it down a lot and it's still quite bright) and the colors are very saturated and brilliant. I haven't seen different LCD's side-by-side so I don't know how they differ in the real world.

4. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I'm not sure about the LD, but the T5's can come with either of the two brands: Sharp and Toppoly. The same is true for the TX. I guess the same is true for the LD. The T3 came with at least two screen brands: Sony and Sharp, and possibly a third one (but I don't know for sure). Since all these models use the same screens, I guess the assembly line used whatever brand was available at the moment.
    Probably you got an LD with a Toppoly screen. Lucky you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.