Sharing a printer on my network

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jigwashere, Dec 24, 2018.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I finally unboxed an old inkjet printer I've had in storage for 10 years and would like to use it with my desktop PC. Unfortunately, it's a huge printer -- a Canon Pixma Pro 9000 MarkII (got it for $50) -- which is capable of printing 13x19. There's just no place for it in my office and it won't get used often, so I connected it to an old laptop in my basement.

The printer has no network capability and is connected to my laptop via USB. The laptop does run Windows 10. On the sharing tab in properties, I checked 'share this printer.' And, just for good measure, I turned on network discovery on the laptop. What else do I need to do?

r0k, RickAgresta, scjjtt and 2 others like this.
  2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Just as I suspected -- I fight with this all day long with no success, but as soon as I post my question here, I figure it out. Duh!

Actually, saying that I figured it out is a bit of an exaggeration. I don't think I really understand how I got it to work and if I had to do this from scratch, it'd probably take another series of trial and error.

Long story short, I went to add the printer using the shared printer name, typing in \\computername\printername. My first mistake was not entering the computername exactly (case sensitive). Second mistake, I used the wrong username for the laptop. Third mistake, wrong password. Oh, and if you think I only made 3 mistakes, you're mistaken. ;)

3. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

You did it right. You could do \\ip.address.for.pc\printersharename too. Alternatively, if your router supports it, you could plug your USB printer into your router and have that be the print server. Directions should be available within your router interface or found online.

Merry Christmas to you and your family, Jig!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

r0k, RickAgresta, scjjtt and 2 others like this.