Seeking Thoughts Re: DateBk6 Template Storage Date 01/01/2020 Solution

Discussion in 'Applications/Utilities (Palm OS)' started by lelisa13p, Nov 13, 2019.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Flickr recently changed their model -- Yahoo sold Flickr to SmugMug and they no longer offer free unlimited storage. I don't think it affected me directly, but I got a few emails from them about
    it.

RickAgresta, lelisa13p and headcronie like this.
  2. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Funny, this just happened to me too; and it was in fact a car forum. Someone had referenced the link and when I went there, the photo was blurry. A while ago, Photobucket was excoriated for breaking millions of links that people had used for photos in various forums, FB, etc. You'd visit a site and it would be just littered with squares with the Photobucket image instead of the actual photo.

lelisa13p likes this.
  3. EdmundDantes

Ironically, after reading this thread an another thread that referenced Palms, the digitizer in my LifeDrive went nuts this past week, and I thought I'd have to send it to Palm Doctor; but I semi-got it back. I still need to send it out for a refurb. I sent an email to Palm Doctor; but did not get a reply. I seem to recall reading a post a while back that mentioned that he is slow to respond because he has a lot of work and is only one guy. I get it.

scjjtt, Hook and lelisa13p like this.
  4. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Okay, here's the latest. :vbsmile:

As of 1 PM today (Mon 12/30), all of my Palm devices think that today is January 2, 2020. TX (2), Zire71 (2) and m130 (1) have been backed up (BackupMan) prior to changing the dates and now all that's left is to see how they handle the overnite transition to tomorrow. Regularly scheduled backups run at 4 AM. If all goes well (fingers crossed and I don't seem to have troubles at this point), I'll leave everybody :vbwink: set a few days ahead until actual January 3, 2020 (Friday), when I'll reset the dates on all 5 of the devices back to actual. :thumbsup: It's also a bonus that none of the devices have an internet connection and no way of knowing that they've been tricked. :vbtongue:

Will post another update Tuesday afternoon. Woo hoo! New Year's Eve! Palm devices have been ticking along for 17 years (2003 - m130 and 2 Zire71) and nearly 14 years (2006 - 2 TX). As long as Chris can replace batteries when needed, I'm hopeful for another decade. :vbsmile:

Hook, RickAgresta, headcronie and 2 others like this.
  5. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

17 years and still running... that is simply amazing! I can't even find any of my Palm devices. Granted, we still are unpacking. But I also know that I don't have any device that still has content on it. My 755p hard reset and my backup was on a miniSD that kicked the bucket. The computers they synced to are long dead and gone. The only hope I'd have is if I somewhere found my TE, and the backup was still viable.

Those were the days of tinkering, and pushing devices far beyond their original intent. Those days are long past for me. No rooting, no tinkering. I'm settled in with the apps I use, and I have little to no interest in new apps. I let credits in the appstore expire. What happened to me?

I'm waiting with baited breath for your results, Lelisa! :)

6. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I have a friend who's full time smartphone is still a Treo (Whichever 7xx series was Verizon). He finally has to think about something new when Verizon completes getting rid of CDMA in a year or so. He bought it all those years go on my recommendation. By the way, he's an IT guy for a multinational corporation. I'm now hoping to talk him into the F(X) Tech Pro. :vbwink:

7. EdmundDantes

Both my Vx and LifeDrive have the correct dates. I wonder why?

Edit: By the way, Palm Dr. never got back to me. I've sort of finagled my digitizer to work (sort of); but I'd like to replace it. His not contacting me doesn't give me a lot of confidence.

8. lelisa13p

Huh? :vbconfused: My goal was to spoof the date in order to circumvent the DateBk6 Template storage date of 01/01/2020 which contains massive content. Testing, and what I believe will ultimately be the solution, began yesterday.

RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  9. lelisa13p

Progress Report:

So far, so good! :thumbsup: Midnite Date rollovers were uneventful and 4 AM backups were as usual. (BUM and NVBackup for TXs; BUM for Zire71 units.)

Date and Time on these devices seem to behave like old analog wristwatches. Set whatever Date and/or Time you want to use and they're (hopefully) none the wiser. :vbgrin:

If nothing untoward occurs, I'll be rolling back to January 3rd actual when it gets here. No news is good news. :vbsmile:

RickAgresta, jigwashere and Hook like this.
  10. lelisa13p

Might want to spit out that bait and grab some Listerine, hc! :vbgrin: (Bated is short for abated - slowing or holding - one's breath. :vbwink: ) Sorry. :vboops: Librarian. :hi: And occasional Smarty Pants. :vbtongue: