Seeking Thoughts Re: DateBk6 Template Storage Date 01/01/2020 Solution

Discussion in 'Applications/Utilities (Palm OS)' started by lelisa13p, Nov 13, 2019.

1. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Speaking to the desire and delight :vbsmile: of being able to use Old Tech, I'm currently facing a major question of how to deal with DateBk6 template events which are designed to be stored as appointment entries on January 1, 2020, a now rapidly approaching date which seemed very far away in 2003 but now becomes potentially problematic because of the large number of templates appearing on the date of January 1, 2020. I suspect that I'll be required to do some finagling with the device Date and Clock setting. I'm not looking forward to it. :vbfrown:

Any thoughts on ways to handle this? :vbconfused:

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  2. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Refresh my memory-what's going to happen here? So on Jan 1 your calendar is going to get super clogged with phantom events?

RickAgresta, scjjtt and lelisa13p like this.
  3. lelisa13p

Yes! 187 template items. :vbeek: I just counted them. :vbsmile: I'm afraid that actual January 1, 2020 will explode. :vbtongue: The problem is that I'm not sure if something specific was done in engineering the location of that many stored templates on that date OR if any date can handle that many events but 01/01/2020 was just chosen because of a Magical Quality of the Date. :vbgrin: I seem to remember in years past of being warned that the template limit was 200 and no more could be added so I deleted some old ones. Also, I have daily about 16 floating entries that automatically roll over to the next day if not completed and checked off. Bare bones, that would put me over the 200 count. Some floating entries I could change to normal entries and on December 31, 2019, temporarily move them ahead to January 4, 2020 (for an example date.)

Or maybe instead I should plan on changing all of the floaters to regular entries and then moving all of them to January 4, 2020, planning to change/move them back on January 2.

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  4. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

This is neat to see, but so far forgotten that I've got nothing to offer other than I hope it works!

5. lelisa13p

:vbgrin: :thumbsup:

RickAgresta, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  6. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

In a wee, small voice, RA says

Are these the things that I keep getting reminded to set up? I never have in Android. Presumably the template is re-useable and thus saves time moving forward (wouldn't be much of a template otherwise, huh)?

lelisa13p and scjjtt like this.
  7. lelisa13p

The templates are easy, quick shortcuts to enter an item and are listed alphabetically, available by tapping on the (circled) T button at the bottom of the screen, for example: Changed HVAC Filter, Filed Property Taxes, Exterminator Appointment (every 2 months), Haircut, Dental Cleaning, Library Books Due, Renew Library Card (every 3 years), Renew Driver's License (every 8 years), etc. Life stuff that repeats irregularly and needs to be tracked in order to have a reliable record of events. After entry, the events can be linked to other occurrences for the sake of continuity.

PALM Template Button - DateBk6_circled_Med_sharp.jpg

8. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I get the idea of templates, but why are they all piled on that date? Was that some kind of plug date for the software, assuming it would either be obsolete or updated sometime in the future?

scjjtt likes this.
  9. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Given that DateBk stretches back years, I would fathom a guess that it was thought that there would be an update at some point in the future or the platform would be substantially changed. If you think about it, I got my first Palm in 2002. My first Palm was released in 2000. DateBk had multiple versions. That software is likely 20 years old. I doubt that most developers think that their software will last for that long. :)

jigwashere, scjjtt and lelisa13p like this.
  10. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Actually, it would be good to shoot CESD a note. Almost all of his energy goes into Pimlical now, but he still provides minimal support to DateBk 6. Even if he's not about to code a patch, he might no a way to deal with the problem. Worth a tech support email.