Security challenges for smartphones

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by GoodPDAuser, May 17, 2015.

1. GoodPDAuser

GoodPDAuser Mobile Deity

Oh drats. I just read the other thread about Certifi-Gate .

After note: Thanks to Rick for posting the Stagefright countermeasure of turning off MMS auto download. And for the link indicating that Certifi-Gate is not a high risk if you only download from Google Play or trusted app vendors. On the other hand, you would expect (or at least I would) that code developers would take the bullet proofing of remote control very seriously.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
    Mitlov likes this.
  2. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Once I realized that Stagefright only was a problem if your machine automatically downloaded MMS, it concerned me a lot less. I don't open every email attachment I receive; I only open those from a trusted source where it's obvious a person actually sent something instead of their account being hijacked. Most people, even non-tech-heads, get this dynamic. I never previously thought about applying the same policies to MMS, but after thinking about it for about sixty seconds, it made logical sense to do so.

scjjtt likes this.
  3. GoodPDAuser

GoodPDAuser Mobile Deity

Yeah, after reading about both Stagefright and Certifi-Gate, I was less worried about them and more worried about what other dragons lurked in the core of Android. It makes me angry knowing that something like remote control was treated in such a cavalier manner. I would have expected this kind of attitude only from less mature industry players.