Second TX

Discussion in 'Palm' started by antonm, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antonm

antonm Earthling

I am now the rather chuffed possessor of a second TX, bought off eBay at under half price and in cracking nick, acquired because my ±3 year old TX is showing signs of wear (mainly dead spots on the digitiser not amenable to the usual home fixes) and needs to go off and be serviced -- but I cannot be without a TX, not even for 5 minutes.

I intend to send it in for a glass digitiser (or is there a better option?) and probably a replacement battery while they've got it on the operating table (or would that be a waste of time?). Is there anything else that I should ask the service centre to look at?

I'm considering sending it off to either PDAparts or to UsedPDAparts -- can anyone steer me on the choice between the two? ...or even suggest somewhere else? I live in England but I don't mind sending my Palm abroad if that's where the best service is to be found, now that I have another one to cuddle.

Another line of query: Can both TXs have the same hotsync name? I have bought several items of software over the years and they are linked to my hotsync name. I'm not going to reinstall everything I had on the original TX as I really do need to weed out stuff that I never use. A factory reset was considered, but now that I have a virtually new TX, in factory-reset state, that gives an excellent opportunity to start installing afresh, without the dregs left over from a multitude of "Ooh I wonder what this app does... let's plonk it in and see!"

If both TXs have the same hotsync name, will any confusion arise when I backup to desktop? The advantage of the same hotsync name is of course that my bought software will presumably work on both TXs.

2. Silly Rabbit

Silly Rabbit In training!

Congratulations on your new TX & sorry to hear of the problems with your old one! I also have two TXs & they have the same name. The way I switch between the two is to do a full backup to SD card (using either NVBackup or Resco Backup.) Then, I do a hard reset on the target TX (I don't think it's necessary, but I figure it can't hurt) and then move the SD card to the target TX & do a full restore from the SD card.

If (or probably 'when') either of my TXs needs repairing, I will be sending it to Shawn Lux at www.usedpdaparts.com - he's a member of this message board. Several people on this board have reported having very good luck with him.

3. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

Clones are good. :D

While in the PDA OR, have the power switch and headphone jack looked at.

4. antonm

antonm Earthling

Thanks SR and DT :)

Now (feeling really stupid) how do I set my old hotsync name on my new TX? I know this should pop up immediately on a BH search or a Google search, but I must be looking for the wrong phrase.

5. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Based on Silly Rabbit's advice, if you use NVBackup, that would put everything including hotsync name on the device.

If you simply hotsync the new device, that'll put the name on it. But I don't recommend going that route unless you're rebuilding (reinstalling) all apps. If that's your plan, check the sticky thread in the TX forum for a link to the upgrade thread. Treating your new TX as an upgrade is a good option.

6. Grammyteem

Grammyteem Mobile Enthusiast

Silly Rabbit
    Are you syncing one of your clones to a computer and I assume that you have a memory card in each device? Just trying to work out the itty bitty details in my mind.

If you do not sync one of the devices to a computer do you still assign a user name to it?

Cute photo!!

Grammyteem

7. antonm

antonm Earthling

Ah, whew! Thanks, jigwashere -- I knew it had to be here somewhere, was getting quite panicky.

(What would I do without BH!)

8. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

NVBackup full restore from one TX to the another TX will configure them exactly alike (except for a hardware ID that some software uses instead of hotsync name, e.g., Kinoma). In other words, you and your computer would not tell the difference btwn the two TX's.

That said, it's safest to only hotsync 1 of the devices since each hotsync will mark certain records as having been already synchronized. For example, if you hotsynced TX-1 to your PC, then TX-2, TX-2 would not get the already-synced calendar entries. So it's best to do what SR does: sync one TX, back it up with NVBackup, then restore that backup cycle to the other TX.

9. Silly Rabbit

Silly Rabbit In training!

What Jig said. :newpalm: :newpalm: :newpalm:

Oh, and thank you (about the photo.) I was ~50 years younger then than I am now & my mother made the dress & pinafore!

10. Grammyteem

Grammyteem Mobile Enthusiast

Silly Rabbit
    My post crossed over with Jig's and all of my answers were in that post.

Jig- dare I ask if you are a lad or a lassie. It is sometimes difficult to tell from people's screen names. I have been reading this forum for 8 months and have not figured this out yet. I am living in the Middle East now but am from Minneapolis.

Grammyteem

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.