search...STILL broken...

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions, Help and Announcements' started by RickAgresta, Nov 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Reminder: this is not the Off Topic Forum

today, in the 'How to find it?' thread in posts http://forum.brighthand.com/showpost.php?p=1785118&postcount=9
    and http://forum.brighthand.com/showpost.php?p=1785118&postcount=10,

I added text from an old post (2007) made by Adama D. Brown (http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?t=242187):
    "After years of hope and pestering, a nine month running battle with my local service provider, and enduring satellite for what seemed like eternity..."

Then, I performed an in-thread search for the string 'local service provider'; I repeated the search for the string local service provider. in both cases, there were no hits (remember, this is in the thread).

Next, I performed an in-forum search, just in the Off Topic forum, for the strings listed above, with results set to Show Threads (this is not an Advanced Search, fwiw).
    'local service provider' = 10 hits including the post made by ADB
    "local service provider" = 5 hits *not* including the post made by ADB
    local service provider = 10 hits including the post made by ADB

None of the searches included the new posts I made today in the hit list.

Finally, I searched the thread where I found the search string; it correctly turned up the one instance of that string in 62 posts.

It's been months, now, since the search engine was changed, and, essentially, all new posts were rendered unsearchable, using the forum search functionality. And just to underscore the situation, it is not just Brighthand -- similar issue in NoteBookReview. I have not checked any other sibling sites. If, for whatever reason, the forum search functionality cannot be restored, doesn't it make sense to post as a sticky an alternate way to search, in all parent forums?

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Searching Brighthand has gotten more and more frustrating. I'm not sure why, but it seems I've even had trouble find things using Google search.

Anyway, I performed the following Google searches and here are my results:

'local service provider' site:forum.brighthand.com - about 93 hits
    "local service provider" site:forum.brighthand.com - 7 hits with most relevant results omitted, 23 with all results
    local service provider site:forum.brighthand.com - about 93 hits

In the search results for "local service provider" site:forum.brighthand.com, I found the thread title 'Somebody tell me I'm not dreaming,' but it was labeled as the archive version and when I selected it, it brought me to the main forum screen rather than the thread.

3. Andrew

Andrew Mobile Deity

I've reported this issue again to those in charge of database / search engine db (open source stuff I don't understand, he professes in innocence) there's a lot of development projects going on within TTGT currently so I guess it still hasn't bubbled to the top for the group that has expertise on this. But yeah, it seems that Google right now is doing a better job searching bhand than the actual forum search :eek:

4. RickAgresta

thanks, Andrew, for the response. it's difficult to encourage n00bs to use search when it doesn't work as advertised :D

5. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Even before the changeover in the search function, it was by no means reliable. I've basically given up on hoping that will work. With luck, my Google Desktop may pull up a thread I have viewed in the past.

6. Andrew

Andrew Mobile Deity

hey guys, I decided to switch Bhand back to the old vBulletin search engine to see if it's any more useful. The search tables are currently being re-indexed (sorry, might cause some forum slowness and you'll only be able to find really old posts right now) and should be completed in about 2 hours. If you could try performing searches and see if it's any better whatsoever I can leave the old school search in place. I feel bad search sucks so badly and not being able to give a timeline of when it'll get fixed properly.

7. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Thanks, Andrew. I'll do some testing later today and report back.

8. Andrew

Andrew Mobile Deity

Scratch that, it's still indexing and only 25% through. So maybe 8 hours is a better estimate. As time goes by it should be more useful, either way.

9. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Thanks for all the background work, Andrew. I know it's not an easy job.

10. RickAgresta

thanks very much, Andrew; in my very limited test, we're back in business.

again, thank-you.