SDXC - it's here

Discussion in 'Palm' started by grantorinosport, Mar 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grantorinosport

grantorinosport Mobile Evangelist

http://www.sandisk.com/products/dslr/sandisk-ultra-sdxc-cards

Sandisk has finally released the much awaited 64GB SDXC card. Currently available online directly from SanDisk only, the price is a premium $349.

My understanding is that Dmitry's SDHC driver will work for this new generation of cards.

While I don't plan to go out and buy one of these anytime soon, I am happy to see them enter the market. It is my hope that 64GB card on the market will push the price down on the 32GB cards. The 32GB cards are still around $100 on average (for a Class 6), where as the 16GB cards can be had for a third or a fourth of that. So hopefully later this year we will see the price of the 32GB cards come down to a more reasonable level.

2. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I've been waiting too, and agree that I hope that the 32 GB cards come down. For now, the jump in premium between the 16 and 32 GB cards seems a bit excessive.

3. grantorinosport

I bought one 32GB card for my primary TX. It is nice - when you get a ton of movies and music on there, the space goes fast. Certainly if one were traveling for a lengthy time, such storage would be essential. In everyday life I don't think even one 32GB card is essential, but on the road I have never questioned purchasing it.

4. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I typically prefer large-ish files for audio and video, so the extra space is particularly useful.

Audio is the biggest problem, since I haven't found a great solution for playing lossless files like FLAC or WMA Lossless. pTunes won't play those (it plays the even larger WAV files) and while TCPMP will play FLAC, it's not a great solution for playing music. The same with Kinoma.

Video, for the moment, is less of a problem, since I can fit a few things on at a time.

I got this great holder for SD and mini- and microSD cards that holds 3 additional cards and slides into my wallet. With 16 and 32 GB cards, I ought to be in good shape.

5. sweller

sweller Mobile Deity

FWIW - I can't find the URL now (naturally), but there's an SD adapter that holds any two micro SD cards. I recall it was around $6. One helluva lot cheaper than $350. :eek:

6. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I'd be interested to see that product, if you can find the reference for it; all I've found is 2 MicroSD cards to 1 MS Pro Duo adapter -- Memory Stick...meh!

7. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Do you mean an adapter that fits into a device letting it ACCESS 2 SD cards at once, or just a holder?

I bought this and LOVE it:

http://www.proporta.com/F02/PPF02P05.php?t_id=1838&t_mode=des

These pictures don't show it; but the flip side is slick aluminum and it's quite thin. I can hold mine in my wallet.

8. sweller

sweller Mobile Deity

It's a standard-sized SD card adapter that accepts two micro-SD cards. Turning, for example, two 16GB micros into one 32GB SD card.

I'm still looking as time permits. It sux to have to work for a living. :p

Steve in NM

9. z22 2006 User

z22 2006 User BHOT's Own Fluffy

Why would somebody need that much storage???! That's crazy. But, regardless, it's kind of cool.

10. grantorinosport

Movies and Music. Storing large amounts of both/either at high bitrates can suck up an incredibly large amount of storage. As I said previously, when traveling it is nice to have some selection...