SDCard thoughts....

Discussion in 'Palm' started by echo4lima, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. echo4lima

echo4lima Semper, Silens, Mortalis

I currently run a Treo 650 with Panasonic 1Gb SD card labled "Super High Speed" The VFSMark for it returns a 300 - 364 (I have run it a dozen times or so) which is quite a bit less than my previous Lexar (Panasonic 32x) card, 512Mb with VFSMark of 517. I notice that the read/write speeds differ from the Lexar.

I have since bought a set of headphones that can listen to tunes and answer phone, and think it will be my main mp3 player (Pocket Tunes Deluxe) and hence started thinking about the 2Gb solution.

I have narrowed down a few cards based on price and local availablity and they are as follows.

Lexar Platinum II - 2Gb - 60x Speed Claim Write speed of 9Mb/sec

Transcend 150x - 2Gb - 150 Speed, Claim 22.5Mb/sec data transfer

Lexar Pro 133x - 2Gb - 133 Speed, Claim 20+Mb/sec

Sandisk Ultra II - 2.0 GB - Write 9Mb/sec, Read 10Mb/sec

Since there is no common language comparing read/write speeds, it does seem a bit confusing. I have had decent experience with Lexar. Sandisk used to have the awful rep with palm and heard some customer service nightmares. Transcend is relativley new, my brother bought a Transcend flash drive and had no problems, not sure of the manufacturer though.

I purposely did not place prices but if you have an experience with one or more of these, I would value your input as to which to buy. If you have another product that I have not mentioned that works well, mention it as well.

2. r0k

r0k Dazed

Interesting you are going through this right now. I, too am struggling to find a SD card solution for my Treo 650. Right now I have a MicroCenter brand "high speed" card that vfsmarks at about 412, but it's write speed is only 91 percent. I just got burned by an ebay purchase of a PQI "high speed" card that has a dismal write speed of only 7 percent. My original sandisk that I've been walking around with for a year has a write speed of 116 percent and its vfsmark is 364. The new high speed card bought me about a 20 percent improvement, not a 20 X improvement.

Careful about those cards claiming "high speed". Some companies are able to achieve insane read speeds but still very slow write speeds. Also, the biggest factor here may be the Treo 650 itself. I remember seeing threads about custom ROM's to allow FAT 32 for larger than 2 gig cards but also for higher performance. It might be that a garden variety card is about all the Treo 650 can handle.

Money spent on an "ultra ii" card for a Treo 650 might be wasted unless you wish to delve into the risky art of custom rom images. Right now, I'm nearing the end of my warranty so I'm beginning to feel a little brave. I'd LOVE to carry 8 gig with me so I could carry more than a trivial selection of documents and music. Also, I use my SD card as a usb stick since I can pop off the end and plug it into any usb port. This places extra pressure on capacity. The Treo would probably be happy with 2 gig for quite some time to come, but the ability to use the sd card as a usb stick to move a few gigs of files from one machine to another means that nowadays I wish I had 2 gig free instead of merely having a 2 gig card.

hope this helps...

3. echo4lima

I have been doing a little reading, leaning toward the Transcend but not sure. I like the format you have and being able to use it as a flash drive as well, but not sure if that is the way to go. Yours is a Sandisk correct?

The 650 supports cards to 2 Gb with current ROMs correct????

4. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

Most of the Lexar cards I've tried have been Panasonics, which have had the highest write speed of the three manufacturers. I don't know who makes the Transcend brand, but it's either Toshiba, Panasonic, or SanDisk. AFAIK those are the only three manufacturers of SD cards; all other brands are simply rebrands of one of these. IME Toshiba cards are very slow on writes. However, if you're going to use the card mainly for listening to mp3s, then the write speed isn't that important. You write once from the PC, which will be much faster than the Palm write speed, and it doesn't have to be fast at all for listening.

5. echo4lima

6. PatrickS

PatrickS Gadget Magnet

Do you have the FAT32 mod installed on your 650? If so, you might consider the 4GB Patriot Extreme 133x card from NCIX. Normally sells for CAD$105 through their web site but I managed to get one just before Christmas in a brick-and-mortar NCIX for $85. Works fine on my FAT32-enhanced 650.

7. echo4lima

How can I tell if I have the FAT32 mod?? What to look for or where to get it??

8. Tom LaPrise

Tom LaPrise Absent-Minded Professor

You would have had to install it yourself, so if you didn't, you don't have it. If there isn't a thread here that has the file and instructions, I know 1src's forums have one.

9. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

Piece of advice here (yes, this is one of my pet peeves, so better make that a warning ;) ):

when you use a modified FAT32 driver, it will inherently ALSO be used when running your SD card backup program.

Guess what happens when your device crashes and you are out in the field ?
    No FAT32 driver in Main Memory, no way to access that SD backup set on your FAT32-formatted SD card. Though luck.

Make sure you have a clean restore path or this might bite a bit harder then you expected.

;)

10. echo4lima

Good point...unless you can put it in the ROM....won't bother then, suprises it isn't in an upgraded ROM release....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.