SD-to-USB Adapter Wanted (buy or build)

Discussion in 'PDAs and Handhelds' started by longshot, Sep 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. longshot

longshot Mobile Enthusiast

Hi,

I want my Zire 72 to read my keychain drive as if it were an SD card. An adapter to do this would be a simple device. I picture an SD-card body with no built in memory, a piece of ribbon cable, and ending in a female USB connector.

I would imagine this is only a "cable" and wouldn't need any drivers, controllers or anything else.

I have done some research and can't find exactly what I want. I'm tempted to grab an old 16MB SD card and make my own. If anyone has done this I'd love to hear about it. It's gotta be pretty straightforward...

Thanks

2. Konrad Pierce

Konrad Pierce Village Idiot 2.0

Something like this, longshot?

3. longshot

Close, but not exactly. I sure wouldn't mind having one of these. I'll probably get one when I upgrade my 2 512's to a single 1 or 2GB.

What I'm hoping to find will allow me to directly plug my Kingston 1GB keychain drive into the Zire. An adapter like this would (hopefully) let my keychain drive pretend to be an SD card.

I would think this is just a pass-through. It should be all in the cabling.

If I can't make this work I'll probably buy a 2GB SD card with the built-in USB connector and use that instead of my keychain drive.

I'd like both if I can though...

4. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

Hello,

I think you are trying to use a usb drive plug in to the Palm.

The problem is this, Palm device will not take any other USB devices (not USB slaves), because of the lack of software and hardware. So its impossible in the moment. Sorry, you have better luck with just a keychain SD reader.

JC

5. longshot

Isn't the memory in the SD card and the keychain drive essentially the same? I would hope that I could determine the right connections to make between the SD card and keychain drive contacts.

So are you really saying that the SD card is not a USB device like the keychain card? I know this is kinda obvious, but I'm curious about the details.

If the memory is structured the same, what is between the chip and the contacts for each storage device? Does the question make sense? In my non-electronic brain I see contact points on the keychain drive that go to the memory chip.

Is there embedded software on the keychain drive that doesn't exist on the SD card?

6. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

I found this gadget from MediaGear, purchased from OfficeDepot, extended function of SD cards and Palm useage.

I have not checked in a while, but believe limit was 1GB, my have changed with newer cards being larger.

7. PDA Bach

PDA Bach Dunsel

What you're saying is correct. An SD card is not USB compliant. And, as NB points out, the Zire doesn't host USB either so it's kinda moot.
    There's also some hardware on a USB drive that's not on an SD card.

8. BAB2000

A flash drive is connecting via a USB interface, and provides a USB identifier so the system being connected to can reconize the device.

On the Palm handheld with SDIO port you also require drivers to reconize the device for function. The interfaces are different between the two technologies.

The Palm handheld connects to USB via its connector, (not SDIO), and is a slave type device. The flash drive is also a slave type device.

Utilizing the the SDIO port to interface to a USB type device may be pratical, just not cost justifiable for development and profit.

For your use, the flash drive purchase was not pratical. A purcase of SD card and small card reader would have been better investment. Likely the flash drive was first purchase, so it served the need, unfortunately today, technology does not look over its shoulder and adapt to the former methods.

SD cards are being moved off the shelves as the newer mini-SD cards are being introduced in the newer cameras, phones and such. I believe the new Treo 750 model uses mini-SD, not standard SD!

It is hard to keep up...

9. longshot

Thanks for the info. Pretty interesting.

Actually the keychain drive was a gift so I'm not out any dough.

I like the SD cards with the flip-down cover and the male USB connector. That's probably my best option and will keep my keychain clutter down.

Or even better, I need to buy the Palm software that lets the PDA act like a card reader for the SD card it holds. Then I don't even have to take the card out of the Zire to access it.

I appreciate your time...

10. BAB2000

Then you will require the hotsync cable and software installed on the PC for function.

I travel, not always pratical to have laptop. Flash drive is pratical as I carry Pocket versions of Firefox and OfficeSuite, now testing Thunderbird. Most offices I visit will lend a system for my functions. Ability to move SD card from Palm to MediaGear device allows me to update native docs on the Palm and transfer to email via Exchange Service over the web. And receive docs and perform function in reverse for review and edit on Palm.

My setup includes a TX with 1GB card, a 2GB flash drive with Pocket apps and critical files, and the MediaGear drive with 1MB card as spare. All systems I have encountered on customer sites and branch offices have two USB available, even the library this morning, when performing research and needed to edit form and transmit ASAP to another office.

11. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

I dont this person was referring to Palm Deskto, Bab2000. I think this person was talking about something like Card Export.

2MB???? Hehe, I know you mean 2 GB.

jc

12. BAB2000

My mistake, CardExport 1 did install to the PC, CardExportII does not, unless the system is older OS, Win98!

And correct JC, I made the edit.:eek:

13. Konrad Pierce

Konrad Pierce Village Idiot 2.0

I've seen a site (somewhere in that mess I call my Favorites; I'll post the link if/when I actually manage to find it again if anybody wants it) that puts an SD card and a USB (male) connector into the plastic casing from a Listerine Pocket Pack. I remember that it used the NeoDio ND3260 Multi-Format Flash Card Reader/Writer Controller Chip with USB2.0 HS Interface, a few LEDs, and a teeny bit of soldering - and was presented in an easy-to-follow, illustrated, step-by-step, hobbyist-electronics manner. There was also a build-your-own CF card version (in an Altoids case, I think), and something similar for a miniature amplifier/equalizer project that plugged into a headphone jack. Lotsa other stuff as well that didn't really interest me at the time.

Incidentally, after comparing the specifications for all sorts of similar chips, I then purchased one of these generic High-Speed USB2.0 All-In-One Multi-Format Flash Card Reader/Writer gizmos that included the ND3260 - it was clearly the most capable of these sorts of products (at least as of three months ago), and I haven't been disappointed (yet) with it at all, no matter how heavily I use and abuse it. Hey, what can I say? I'm a USB slut - I'll plug anything anywhere in any way it fits, lol.

Why not build your own? It'll cost you next to nothing (you already seem to have all the parts you need, except perhaps for the ND3260 chip which you can cannibalize from all sorts of USB memory devices) *plus* you get minty fresh breath. The only downside I can see is that you may not like the flavour you're forced to eat if you're picky about the color of the casing.