SD Question

Discussion in 'Palm' started by ufdatuda, Oct 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

There are ways to put actual applications/programs on the SD card. (I believe you put them in the Palm > Launcher folder in the SD card; but frankly, I'm not sure why you would, unless you are totally pressed for space. I keep my apps on the device, and put the content (videos, e-books, photos, music, etc. on the SD cards).

The advice above about PalmPowerUps is good; but you may not even need to do that if you are primarily interested in using your device as a an e-reader. Books (any text files for that matter) take up very little room, so yes, you can put many books on a single 1 GB SD card.

2. Rubyrose

Rubyrose Newbie

Hi Reb1,

Thanks so much for your reply. I do have questions. You said I will lose the books if I format the card. I have 2 separate 1G SD cards that are formatted already.

I really don't understand how to use them.. The only thing I have used them for was to run Backupman on them to backup my Palm. I alternate between the 2 cards.

I have a T3 & have some books on my handheld & I generally use Ereader Pro to read them. I have used the Quick Install Tool to put the books on my T3.

I do have a card reader but I have not used it. Several BH people have told me to get one but I have never used it because I don't understand the directions they gave me. And I'm afraid to try it when I don't understand what I'm doing. People who understand computers know what they are talking about & us newbies just don't understand. I'm not complaining about them. It's just my own ignorance of the very basic comp. terms & the automatic steps that an experienced comp. user knows to do.

It's very frustrating to try & figure out what they are saying.

You mentioned putting the memory card in the comp. Where do you put it? I can't see any place to put it.

Do you download the books from the book site onto the comp. & then drag them into the folder you talked about? Or do you drag the books from the book site?

Thanks for the info on the Palm powerups prog. I have one of Dimitry's programs. He is terrific.

I guess I should buy a 2 gig sd card? I read the whole site of the link you sent me. I thought it said to format the card. I don't think I will try using a 4G card. It sounds too complicated for me to try.

You said to install it to ram. I'm not sure what exactly that means....I vaguely remember someone telling me that the T3 has something like a NVFS memory & not ram & what that means as far as doing this. When you say I have to install it to ram I know that ram means Random access memory in a comp.... .... but I'm not sure what you do to do that or how you do that re:palm.

I guess that's enough questions for now. I really do appreciate the help you are giving me.

Best Regards,

3. reb1

reb1 Mobile Deity

Rubyrose: Plug the card reader into the computer. Put the memory card into it. Your comp should bring up a window and open up the memory card in a window or ask you to select this by selecting open folder. If nothing happens then you will need go to My Computer and select it from there.

You will download the books or programs to your computer ahead of time. When you have them ready you can drag them over to the memory card window. I would make a new folder in the memory card window to drag them to. You should download the program called FileZ, it is free. You can place programs you want in ram by placing them on the memory card and use FileZ to move them into ram.

4. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Just to add one thing to what reb1 wrote. If you computer doesn't automatically open up a window (I don't think mine does); just open Windows Explorer (if you have a Windows computer). This is your file management program, and lets you copy and move files from your computer to the SD card in your card reader. The card in the reader should show up in Windows Explorer as a removable drive with a new drive 'letter' (like g:, h:, etc.). Find where you download new ebooks to (which folder) and then drag and drop that file to the removable drive (and the appropriate folder). It will automatically copy to the card.

5. reb1

reb1 Mobile Deity

Varjak: My comp did not automatically open up a new window on my pc or laptop until I placed a free utility called Unlocker Assistant on them. It is designed to unlock files that will not open. I installed it for a different problem and it fixed the issue with needing to bring up the memory card folder. I have windows XP pc and windows XP pro laptop. To save wear and tear on my Palms because they are getting old I use Card Export II when I have very large files and for most things I use Blue FTP. I use m-Router with bluetooth so I can listen to Pocket Tunes also.

6. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

That's why I mentioned a bit more detail.

On my computers, SOMETIMES I get a window that asks what I want the 'default' action to be when inserting a card. It's not an added-on program; but part of Windows XP in some way. I can select 'do nothing,' open a music player, etc. The odd thing is that it doesn't always 'remember' what I selected as the default. Sometimes I get the window even though I selected 'do nothing;' since sometimes I'm dealing with video files, sometimes music files, and sometimes something totally unrelated to the options and opening those default programs only slows stuff down. One of the incomprehensible things about computers.

7. reb1

reb1 Mobile Deity

I was able to make the communication between my laptop and my Palm's better by using some recommendations here at Brighthand both on the Palm end and on the laptop. I have also experimented a bit. I do everything but loading large mp3 or movies wireless. I use Card Export II for this. I have Blue FTP by Resco Explorer for things that need to go in specific places with the bluetooth. m-Router allows file transfers, books pictures etc. I also allows me to surf the web and listen to PTunes. I finally got the bluetooth hotsync to work without problems. I set up a free app called NetSync and know bluetooth hotsync works everytime and I do not need to change settings when I use another service like PTunes or the web or file transfer. My son was given a book reader last year and is know hounding me for another palm. I guess the book reader does not have enough bells and whistles. I am waiting for Aceeca to get the class1 bluetooth and wifi b/g available on there pda32. It uses garnet 5.4 and the screen is a little smaller. The battery is over double capacity of the TX. Maybe Rubyrose will chime back in and tell us if she was able to get the ebooks loaded onto the card. I don't believe she mentioned what operating system her computer had.

8. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Man, when computing surfaced, the era of inexact sciences began. My PC does the same. With_the_same external storage, sometimes it pops the window, sometimes it doesn't.

9. Rubyrose

Rubyrose Newbie

Hi reb1 & Varjak,

Thanks for your help. Well I went on an ebook site & downloaded a few books. When it asked me if I wanted to open it or save it I chose to open it. As soon as I did it I realized that I made the wrong choice. They went into the Quick Install tool. Is there some way to save them to my comp. from the Quick Install tool? Or do I have to go back & redownload them?

On the ebook site it only used Mobipocket reader & an Adobe digital editions reader so I downloaded the Mobipocket reader. Do you know anything about that reader?

Another question: About using these forums on BH, I haven't been on BH much lately but it seems different. Before when I would preview my reply it used to keep what I had written in the reply box too so I could correct any errors. But now when I go to read my preview the original reply I wrote disappears & when I click on submit it tells me my reply is too short-like 15 characters.
    Then I have to rewrite it all over again. What am I doing wrong?

Also I'm not getting any notifications of your replies to me. I have to go back & check to see if anyone answered me.

Did they change the way BH works?

Thanks so much.
    Rubyrose

10. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I would just go to Quick Install and delete those files from the queue (assuming you haven't synced yet). THEN, re-download them and SAVE to whatever directory you want. Then you can use Windows Explorer or whatever to drag and drop them to your SD card reader and card.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.