SD Question

Discussion in 'Palm' started by ufdatuda, Oct 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steve_bb2

steve_bb2 Mobile Enthusiast

Varjak ...... You asked ..... Why would you want to put an app like TCPMP on an SD card?

I'm kinda lost for an answer here. The first thing that comes to mind is that without putting tcpmp on to an SD card, it's a bit tricky to move it over to the Palm Livedrive. Bearing in mind that an Activesync solution is out of the frame.
    Is there another way?
    Cheers
    Steve

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  2. steve_bb2

steve_bb2 Mobile Enthusiast

I need to apologise for my last post.
    I have no idea where Varjak is from so I can also have no idea if he understands sarcasm. I'm from England so I DO understand sarcasm and, after re-reading my last post, it could have come across as such. Please be assured that it was not meant to be a sarcastic comment.
    It's just that I am trying to get to grips with this whole PDA thing and, for the moment, the PDAs are winning.
    I was told by a grandson who is all of 9 that I needed to get a PDA. I have lasted 60+ years without one but I took the plunge and bought 5 on eBay. The idea being to find out which I liked and to sell the rest back on eBay.
    I bought a Palm Lifedrive for the hard drive, a Palm TX 'cos it was £6.38, an Ipaq h2210 with CF and SD slots, an Ipaq h5450 with SD and a 2 x pcmcia jacket and CF adaptors and a Jornada 720 because of the keyboard.
    It's a learning curve but I figure I have 10 years left to use up, lol

Cheers,
    Steve

3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Varjak, it's been ages since I've done the install, so I'm not sure what is or is not included automatically... I specifically meant, in this case, the various plugins; if they are not found by the TCPMP app, then even though the player opens nothing can be played, or even selected IME.

wrt steve_bb2's reason for installing to the SD card, it seems that at this time, HotSync is not an option AND if it runs off the SD card why put it in main memory -- this last part, after the red "AND" is my interpretation & I hope it is correct.

4. Josser

Josser Mobile Deity

- - - and let's not forget that no apps run from the SD card or RAM, they are only stored there. When you launch an app, it is first copied into the dynamic heap and run from there. The only performance hit from storing an app on the SD card, is it takes longer to copy it to the heap. Some apps will 'page' sections of code into and out of the heap, and they will see the biggest performance hit. The dynamic heap for the Lifedrive is only 6Mb, not sure for the TX.

5. philpalm

philpalm Mobile Deity

It gets tricky when you use a 4 GB SD card or higher. There are 4GBSDHC cards and other variation types available. Bottom line is for SDHC you need to purchase a program that enables a Lifedrive or a TX to use the SDHC format.

6. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I actually didn't read your previous post as sarcasm; so no, I didn't take it that way, although I know it's very easy to make that mistake on a text DB, even with emoticons.

I also think I misunderstood you though as to why you wanted to put it on your SD card. I thought you wanted to RUN the program all the time from the card; not just use it to transfer to your handheld. I installed TCPMP on my LifeDrive directly via the Hotsync process. To be honest, I didn't know about the heap situation as Josser so clearly and elegantly explained. I just thought that my 'primary' apps should be on the handheld proper. I also think I switch cards more than some here, so I wouldn't really want a lot of apps on my card(s). In fact, I was annoyed that the PDFreader (called something else now) installed lots of its files on the SD card. With the LifeDrive and the internal HD, I want that on my handheld. I'll keep the docs on my SD card.

Yes, Rick, I think TCPMP installs two major plugins with the 'basic' install; and then you have to download the others (conveniently shown on Jigwashere's signature). I discovered when installing the PC version of TCPMP that everything had to be in the one folder to work properly. I assume it's the same for the Palm.

P.S. Steve, I'm American but lived in England for a few years, so I 'get' the 'dry' British sense of humor (unless it's asking me where I keep my guns). It typically fits my own, or so I've been told by some British friends.

7. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

According to MemInfo, same for the TX:
    meminfo.jpg

hey, Josser, how're you? good to see you on the forums. :newpalm:

8. Rubyrose

Rubyrose Newbie

Hi,
    I have a few questions. I'm a newbie & don't understand terms like heap, codec & other computer terms. My interest in using an SD card is to put books on it to read. I was reading up on the topic on some very old posts about it. I am completely lost when it comes to how these computer things work.

In those old posts I got the impression that you would put the books and the reader on the card & when you wanted to read a book that it would work from there. But here someone said that you can't run the app. from the card.

I would like to put a lot of books on the card when I come across them & then when I want to read I will have a number to choose from. I read a lot & sometimes I start a book & realize it's not what I want to read & this way I will have a bigger choice. Also I
    don't want overload my palm.

Can someone please explain the steps, one by one to be able to do that using the card reader & SD card. If there are some steps that someone who uses & understands computers would know to do automatically....I won't know to do those things. Please could you include them too?

I have a T3 & have some books on it that I have read but I have never done it by storing the books on the card & retrieving them from it. If you can do it from the card how do you open the book to read it?

Also, I wondered approx. how many books you can fit on a 1G sd card? In one of those old posts a person said they had hundreds of books on a 256 card. Is that really possible?

If you format the card will the books automatically go to the right place or file when you download the books?

Many Thanks,

9. reb1

reb1 Mobile Deity

Rubyrose: You will loose the books if you format the card. Many reader programs have the ability to transfer the books to the card within there program. How are you placing the books and programs on your devise. It can be done with hotsync it can be done with the memory card in the comp also. The prc files are the program and they should be placed put in the handheld memory. The pdb files can usually be placed on the memory card. Books can also be placed on the memory card. When you transfer books form within a program like ereader pro which is know free it will place the books in the palm launcher folder for you. If you place the memory card in the computer and put all of the books on it the reader program will also be able to find it. If you use this method I would place the memory card in a card reader on the PC or laptop and open it and make a new folder and give it what name you want. I would drag the books to be read into this folder. Just remember the books need to be in a format that your reader program will read. There are quite a few readers out and plenty of free ones also. Here are a couple of sites that have ebooks in several reader formats.
    Ebook and PDA Documents for your Handheld from Memoware - Free!
    ManyBooks.net - Ad-free eBooks for your iPad, smartphone, or eBook reader
    Online Book Catalog - Overview - Project Gutenberg
    Project Gutenberg Australia free ebooks

Most readers will read text so you can use it or convert with programs from the readers or other sources if needed. You will probably have more questions about this so just post them.

10. reb1

reb1 Mobile Deity

Palm powerups has a free program that will allow your T3 to read and write the 2gig memory cards and maybe some 4gig cards if you can find the correct ones. A 2gig will allow many books so try it out. You need to install the app to ram. It needs to be done a certain way so here is a link to the forum where they discuss it. If you have more questions post.

1src Forums - T|T3 can now read/write 2 and 4GB SD cards