SD Question

Discussion in 'Palm' started by ufdatuda, Oct 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WyreNut

WyreNut Palm Aficionado

Bit of a late reply, but "better late than never" Rubyrose.

As explained above, a Card Reader is a physical device attached to your computer by a USB cable and allows you to directly move programs to an SD card. This works well when normal Hotsyncing doesn't work, or you need to move very large amounts of data (movies, mp3's, etc.) to your card. HotSync is a very slow method for moving them since it may convert them to another format on the fly! (NOTE: there is also a software program called "Card Reader" that enables a Palm device to function as a hardware Card Reader).

On an SD card that has been formatted in your Palm device you'll find several folders. Each one has a specific purpose:

AUDIO - music files such as mp3's
    DCIM - (Digital Camera IMages) - photos and videos
    PALM/LAUNCHER - Palm programs you wish to install to the card. .Prc and .Pdb files

This is just a general guide. There are many complicated programs (like Medical Encyclopedias) that have many components - some HAVE to install to RAM to work correctly, while others go into special folders on a card created by an install routine. Simple .prc programs can be copied to the \Palm\Launcher directory, removed from the Card Reader, inserted into your Palm device, and once you display the contents of the card the icon will appear for the program. Tap it, and it should run.

HTH,

WyreNut

2. Rubyrose

Rubyrose Newbie

Hi Wire Nut,

Thank you so much for the explanation. Late is better than never!

It's a little bit clearer now. Let me see if I get it.

If there is something I want to install on my palm I put the SD card into the card reader then copy it to the folder called Palm Launcher............ Does that mean I use copy in the edit column like copy & paste?

If it's an app. do I highlight it or what to make it copy?

After it is copied to the card I take the card out of the card reader
    & put it in my Palm & I should be able to run it.

Thanks for explaining the program Card Reader. I've seen BHer's
    mention that but I didn't know exactly what it did. I thought it was a program to use with a card reader.

Thanks so much. I really appreciate the help.

3. reb1

reb1 Mobile Deity

You can use a card reader on your computer to place movies, music and programs on your palm. They need to be in the proper format. If you have a program on your palm like TCPMP then many audio and video formats can be loaded onto the card and this program will play them for you. This is my favorite way for large files of these types. For palm programs I use a free program called myinstall. You sync myinstall to the palm. Then you create a folder named myinstall in the root file of the memory card. When you need to put a program on your palm you put the memory card in the card reader of your pc and open the Myinstall folder and drag or copy paste the program you want on your palm to this folder. Place the memory card in your palm and run the myinstall program and it will imitate the hotsync conversion.

4. Rubyrose

Rubyrose Newbie

Hi reb1

Thank you for the explanation. Some other Brighthanders have told me how to put things on my card reader. I just didn't understand why I should do it until I asked this question. Each person has added another dimension to the explanations.

Thanks again so much.

5. Rubyrose

Rubyrose Newbie

Hi,

I have another SD question. I'm hoping someone can help me. Is there a way to put just my Notepad data on the SD card so I can put it back on the Palm at a later date & not lose it if I have to do a hard reset?

Thanks so much for your help.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

Sure. Just use the card reader, and copy the database to the SD card. I'm not sure why you want to put just that database, but it's up to you.

Or easier, you can do it on the handheld, by using FileProg, Filez, or a similar file manager. Just copy it.

7. Ze-Palm

Ze-Palm Mobile Enthusiast

All softwares not run with database stored on SD card.
    The best way to check it is to copy and rename the original db on the PC and put the db on SD.

8. steve_bb2

steve_bb2 Mobile Enthusiast

Hi guys,
    I have read the stuff from earlier in this thread but I got myself a little bit confused. Let me see if I got it right.

I am having a great deal of problem trying to create a partnership between my computer (XP) and an old HP Jornada 720 mini laptop thing. Because of this, I have removed all the software that I had on my PC relating to Pocket PC and Palm devices. That's OK until I want to install stuff. From what I have read on this thread, it seems to me that I can install Palm programmes, an easy example would be tcpmp, on the Palm by grabbing a brand new 4gb SD card, sticking it in my Palm Lifedrive and formatting it. This will then automatically create folders on the SD card, one of which is called "Palm Launcher". Next thing is to remove the card from the Palm Lifedrive and put it into an SD card reader and slot it into one of my desktop PC USB ports. I can then navigate to the "Palm Launcher" folder and copy/paste the tcpmp file into that folder. Last but not least would be to take the card out of the reader, put it back into the Lifedrive and figure the rest out from there.

Is that about right?
    Also, is it fair to say that if I open a programme on my PC that I want to install on my Palm, it is the .prc file that I need to copy to the "Palm Launcher".

Thanks for any advice.
    Steve

XXX for the ladies and a gruff handshake for the men.

9. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

the folder hierarchy on the SD card (for the folders of interest here) is:
    top-level-->Palm-->Launcher
    Launcher is a sub-folder in the Palm folder. otherwise, pretty spot-on :)

one important thing, though, especially for your TCPMP example, is that many applications (Palm programs) have support files without which they won't run properly (if at all), and the default is to look in main memory (not on the SD card) for these support files. Often the support files are smaller than the application if available memory is an issue.

in your TCPMP example, without the helper files in main memory (for sure on the TX, not certain about the LD), TCPMP opens, but the helper files are needed for it to 'know' if a certain type of file is supported; since it deosn't know, it displays no songs to play even though you're in the right place on the SD card . That's the general situation; some apps (like TCPMP) have an option to search for helper files on the SD card -- saves main memory, but is slower.

10. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I'm just curious? Why would you want to put an app like TCPMP on an SD card? Are you out of room? I could see putting some 'apps' on an SD card; but pretty much I put 'primary' apps (and for me TCPMP is a primary app) on the device itself.

Rick, by 'helper files' do you mean the individual codecs not included in the basic TCPMP install? I know that even on a PC, you have to have all those in the same folder for TCPMP to play all those various file formats.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.