SD Question

Discussion in 'Palm' started by ufdatuda, Oct 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ufdatuda

ufdatuda Newbie

Can I use a regular SD card to put wanted downloads on and then run them on my palm? If so how? Because when I put said card into the reader slot on the palm nothing shows up and I know stuff is there. The SD is what I buy for a digital camera and the Palm is a Zire 71. I know that someone out there has done just want I to do, Thanks for all your help. Ginny

2. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

Hello and welcome to Brighthand,

First thing first, what the file type are you trying to run?

If it's .exe file, it will not show.

3. ufdatuda

ufdatuda Newbie

Hi, You have asked me a question that I'm utterly duh about. I simply thought it should run. How do I learn about what you just said. And also what do I do next. Thank you for your counsel. Ginny

4. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

Ok, let me rephrase the question.

What are you trying to run? And where did you get it?

5. reb1

reb1 Mobile Deity

There is a program called myinstall that will allow you to imitate a hotsync on the palm itself. I will post a link to the software. There is a read me file that describes how to use it. You may need to do one normal hotsync with the card in your palm so it can use that card. I think I had to do this once. http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/myinstall.shtml

6. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

reb1, welcome to Brighthand!

If you wish to install programs in your Palm, by means of an external card, you can't just copy them into the card, load the card into the Palm, and hope they'll work (AAMOF, around this, there's the very purpose of MyInstall).

The point here is that a Palm needs to be informed that a program is about to be installed. For the purpose, you may already know this, there is a procedure in your computer, under which any program intended to be installed in your Palm, is added to a "Quick Install". Essentially, said Quick Install is a system folder (meaning you can't or shouldn't attempt to delete it or to use it for some other purpose whatsoever), into which all the contents about to be transferred to the Palm are gathered. When you do a HotSync, the programs ride from the Quick Install folder, to the Palm with, say, a newbie flag, so the Palm OS can detect them and enlist them. This procedure is necessary (not optional) in order to install a program into a Palm. Another option is to beam the program from a Palm to another, procedure that also springs the install resource onboard the second Palm.

Now, this MyInstall thingy, allows you to get a Palm program into an external card, and install it into the Palm without the HotSync procedure and the Quick Install tool. But of course, in order to achieve such liberty, the very program that you have to install properly, is MyInstall. And next, you shall review the MyInstall manual in order to know how it is used to install a program from an external card.

7. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

If you want to run programs from an SD card without a third-party launcher, they must be in the /Palm/Launcher folder on the card. You can copy them directly to the handheld with any file manager if you want, and they will run from there. There is no need for any special install, you just have to get all the necessary files to the right place. IMO, MyInstall is a waste of time. I tried it, and soon deleted it.

8. Rubyrose

Rubyrose Newbie

Hi,
    I am a newbie & I don''t understand tech terms. I am trying to understand the purpose of using an sd card reader, What do you use it for, What does it accomplish? I am trying to learn how to use one from some directions on BH but I just don't understand what the card reader's purpose is. I know that I can use a backup prog. to put the backup of my Palm on the SD card & get it to replace the data that I might lose & it will put it all back on my palm in a very short time. What I don't understand is why I should use a card reader with it & what purpose does it serve?
    S:confused: orry to be so ignorant about these things-but I'm just trying to learn.

Thanks so much for any help you can give me. I really appreciate all you people so much for all the knowledge you have & your willingness to help newbies like me.
    Rubyrose

9. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

A card reader, when connected to your computer by USB and then containing an SD card, will be seen by your computer as another Drive. This makes it easy to copy files like mp3s and photos onto the SD card from the computer at a much greater rate of speed and convenience than trying to accomplish the same goal using Hotsync. It also allows copying of some Documents onto the SD card for Documents To Go to read in their original (native) format rather than needing to be converted thru the Docs2Go desktop component (viewed as a big pain in the neck by many.) :)

10. Rubyrose

Rubyrose Newbie

Thanks so much for the explanation. Bright Handers have recommended that I use one but I wasn't sure why.

I think I recall someone on here saying that they put programs on a cardreader or SD Card & then ran them from there. Can you explain how that works?

Thanks so much for your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.