Sd Card Slot Playing Up

Discussion in 'iPAQ rx4000 series' started by khmer_rulz, Aug 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. khmer_rulz

khmer_rulz Z master

hey i had my iPAQ for around 6months. its been playing up since the first week of use. i would turn it on and need to reinsert the card into the slot for the card reader to detect it again. should i get the iPAQ repaired? also does Hp repair their PDA or issues refurbs unit like palm does? i hate refurb units as im trading my almost perfect PDA for somthing out of the dark.
    thanks
  2. Konrad Pierce

Konrad Pierce Village Idiot 2.0

Do you have the same problem when using different SD cards?
  3. khmer_rulz

khmer_rulz Z master

yeh i tried it with all the SD cards i have...so whats the problem?
  4. Konrad Pierce

I can think of a few likely reasons for this problem (listed in order of least-to-most drastic fixes):
    • The "write-protect" notch on the SD cards (if present) could prevent the PDA from writing to them, which might cause this sort of problem the first time the card is inserted. (Not very likely, but worth looking.)
    • Try a soft-reset on the PDA. This can often correct minor inexplicable problems. (Nothing to lose, and you might get lucky.)
    • The PDA's software or firmware could be faulty. This isn't very likely (unless perhaps you've flashed an unsupported/third-party ROM), but could be corrected with a hard-reset. (Back up all data on the PDA first; it will be wiped "clean".)
    • Every SD card you've tried is simply incompatible with the PDA model. There are always a few oddball combinations that will never work. Nothing you can really do about this except get another SD card or PDA.
    • Every SD card has been formatted in another device (PC, camera, phone, GPS, etc) using a data format that is just not compatible. (Try re-formatting the SD card in your PC, choosing FAT32 file system and 4KB Cluster Size - this is a more "universal" format that will often work with troublesome PDAs. Back up any important data on the SD card first.)
    • The SD slot itself could be faulty. Carefully inspect it with a flashlight; clear away any debris or particles; look for missing/bent/damaged pins and connectors.
      Electronic contacts of this sort are (almost) always made with Gold- or Tin-plating (never both) and mixing both types together will usually work but is not recommended because it will oxidize and corrode all the connections - not much you can do about this except try to ensure that you use the same metal all around. You might want to actually apply an electronic cleaner/lubricant fluid, although this is more of a project, and may even involve disassembling the PDA to gain proper access to the parts you wish to service.
    • There is a fundamental hardware problem in the PDA. It must be sent in for repair if you want to use SD cards in it.
  5. khmer_rulz

khmer_rulz Z master

yeh so does HP repairs their PDAs or sent back a refurb unit?
  6. Konrad Pierce

They do both. As a rule of thumb if it's something they can't fix pretty quick (standard LCM or battery replacement, debrick up the ROM, modular subcomponent replacement) they'll keep the unit and send you a replacement; more often than not this would be a refurbished unit, but sometimes it could be a new one.

You shouldn't count on getting "your" specific unit returned. In any event, unless you still have valid HP warranty coverage or whatever, I would recommend you attempt the repair yourself or send it to any number of places - you'll generally get faster service and pay somewhat less.
  7. khmer_rulz

khmer_rulz Z master

ohh alright then im going to contact HP. thank you.