Screen Shot App or Function for Non-Rooted Device

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by Antoine Wright, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Moderator Super Moderator

Hey folks;
    Expect to hear a bit more from me concerning Android since I'm getting a chance to play with a few more devices these days. One thing that's bugging me is taking screenshots. How are you all who *aren't* rooting your devices doing it? The only apps which do screens I see in the Market are for rooted devices.

As a headsup to my impressions on things Android, check out my personal site where I did a piece on homescreen philosophies by Google and Nokia. I'm not moving from Symbian, but am taking a refreshed look at things.
  2. Hook

Hook Hookette's edgy lately

It's a bit of a pain in the behind to set up, but once you get it, it works great.

Here are the instructions:

How to take screenshots of your Android based phone from Windows – Simple Help

You are essentially setting up a developers environment just so you can borrow one of their tools. :rolleyes:

Took me a bit to suss it all, but if I can do it... ;)
  3. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

The weird thing actually would be yourself proclaiming you are officially quitting experimentation and research ;)

What's a "rooted" device, BTW? :confused:
  4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta boldly battling the XenForo-ces {squeek!!}

similar to jailbroken; it means the user has access to the "root" directory, and thus can do things that the normal OS wouldn't allow (especially true of the Apple OS for portable things-i)
  5. Hook

As Rick said. "Root" is exactly what it means in Linux-- you have superadmin permissions and can access or change anything-- including stuff you might not want to do if you actually don't know what you are doing.

The latter is why I don't root ;)
  6. Antoine Wright

Rooting is good and all, but I was even hesitant to do so on my Maemo devices - if the functionality is hidden behind such a barrier, there's usually a reason why. Better to learn the mode I have, before hacking into another.

I'll take a look at setting up a dev environment for this... I live on a mobile, this part will be a bit difficult.
  7. Hook

That's right, you don't use a computer. You may be out of luck. As far as I know it requires USB connection to a Windows computer. If you find a work around, please post. :)
  8. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Your only other shot would be in emailing developers or manufacturers and asking for generic screenshots...or sucking up to Hook or me and asking us to do shots for you. :)

fwiw, rooting is supposedly very easy and safe, so it may be your best option. There's even root-based screenshot utilities in the marketplace.
  9. Antoine Wright

@hook: uh, I do use a computer, several of them. Its just that outside of the iPad, the screen sizes are usually under 4in.

@qf: yea, I know its safe. i might have to go the route of asking some devs for screens.

this isnt so much an experiment as much as it is knowledge building. Personally speaking, I prefer to live with devices as much as possible, but get high level understandings when I can't so that I can see mobile from a nuanced perspective. Though I will admit, it causes me to make a lot of hard-to-understand-to-others-at-least-initially kinds of decisions.

Thanks all for the feedback.
  10. Hook

Yeah, yeah, you know what I meant. My refrigerator is a computer, for that matter. :rolleyes: ;)
  11. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Resurrecting a somewhat old thread here, but there's an Android app called Snapshot that although it claims it only supports rooted devices it works perfect on my unrooted HTC Evo 4G. Can't guarantee it will work on all unrooted devices, but it's worth a try. I don't think it will mess anything up. I think it will either work or not work.
  12. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

If you have the Samsung Galaxy S i9000 that is upgraded to Froyo, you can do a screenshot doing this.

Press the Return button first and then quickly Home button, in a way that's nearly simultaneous.
  13. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Sadly, that's a loophole that ONLY exists for Evo users. :mad:

I need to look into rooting my Droid again...
  14. kam187

kam187 Mobile Enthusiast

On a slightly related note, the best app to take videos of an app you may have created is snap X pro on the mac. There's a free fully functional 15 day trial, so its good for your first app.

Its the only one i found which can record from the simulator properly at 30fps WITH sound and records to a sensible size format.