Scjjtt's Memorial Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by scjjtt, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

Not only do I agree that this is a safer place than facebook, I think shark infested waters are too.

I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner. It's not easy to lose a parent at any age, any circumstances. It's kind of surprising, predictable as it is, it leaves a mark even in adulthood. Every few years I still have a brief meaningless dream conversation with my departed dad and for just a moment while still waking up as the fog clears, I have to remember he's long since passed. It's a surreal thing which I maintain is a sign of normal grief and not proof that I'm several cards short a full deck.

All that said, it's nice she was surrounded by such love, support and faith in her final days. Would that we all have some of that. I'll be praying for you and your family.

2. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

The memorial service has been set for 7/25. I'm so glad. We had a schedule vacation in San Diego staying in a 2 bedroom, 2 bath, living room/kitchen student apartment at Point Loma Nazarene University for free for this week. It was suppose to been last year but COVID closed the program down - but they offered it to us this year. PLNU is gorgeous - everywhere on campus you see the ocean!

https://images.app.goo.gl/VZQLL7ufBSoArKzX9

Our son & his wife flew down from WA to join us & while we were eating sea food at Point Loma Seafoods they surprised us with a ultrasound picture of their expected baby.

They'll be here with us through Wednesday. Sunday we drive back & fly the following Wednesday for the service.

This break was well timed for us! We're blessed!

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

3. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Thanks to my B.H. family for walking with me through my mother's passing. It was 7 weeks ago, on Tuesday, when my father called & said he thought that she wasn't going to make it.

Sunday was the service. We flew back last Wednesday & came home Monday. My life has never been so disrupted as it has been these last 7 weeks. But then this is a part of life & we all go through times like this.

I'll close with the eulogy I wrote & had read during the service. Again - thanks for your support.

-----------

The book of Proverbs concludes with an Epilogue: The Wife of Noble Character. In those 21 verses describing the characteristics of my mother there is one verse of that passage that reads:

Her children arise and call her blessed… Proverbs 31:28 (NIV)

I am convinced, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that God gave me the best mother I could have ever had.

To me my mom was a mother who sacrificed her life for me. I know she gave up and also put up with so many things raising me & seeing me through life. She was always supportive of me, prayed for me and I knew she always loved me, no matter what.

Growing up I was the child who sang loud during the children's programs at church, but not in tune. I overheard her asking our musical pastor if I should even try out for band since I was tone deaf. I remember bringing home my first band report from my teacher. It was in a sealed envelope. When she opened it and read it she cried. The teacher said that I did so well that he wished he had 100 students just like me. I always thought she was crying because of my musical accomplishments but as time as gone by I wonder if her tears may have come from the horror of thinking of having hundred Scotts.

In my teenage years I turned my back on the faith and consequently my actions got me into trouble. Being that her office at Northmor High School was only separated by a wall from the principal's office, my mom was "privileged" to receive some reports on my behavior. After one major incident she confronted me on what had taken place. The only thing that I remember, and has always been in the back of my mind since that day were these words, "We dedicated you to the Lord when you were a baby." Those words are etched into my mind as strong today as it was spoken to me during those years running away from Christ.

There is a children's book called, Love You Forever. It was written in 1986 and shortly after, while our parents were visiting us in California, I decided to read it to my mom. I never thought of the effect it would have on me - if I did, I probably would not have read it to her. As I read the story kneeling beside her I came to the understanding of the love and sacrifice it was for her for me to live across the country. My parents did not have a chance to be regular part of our lives due to the distance that ministry had taken us. It was in that moment I lost it and just buried my head into her arms and cried like a baby.

The book is a story about a mother who would hold her baby and sing, "I love you forever, I like you for always, As long as I'm living, my baby you'll be." The mother would continue to sneak into the room of this boy throughout his life, and even when he became a teenager and an adult she would continue the tradition, and if he was really asleep "she picked him up and rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. And while she rocked him she sang: 'I’ll love you forever, I’ll like you for always, As long as I'm living, my baby you'll be.'" Well the years passed and the mother called the boy home, "When he came in the door she tried to sing the song. She sang: I’ll love you forever, I’ll like you for always... But she couldn’t finish because she was too old and sick."

So I will close with the words that followed in that book, which are my words too…

"The son went to his mother. He picked her up and rocked her back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. And he sang this song: I’ll love you forever, I’ll like you for always, As long as I’m living my Mommy you'll be."

4. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Love You Forever was one of our favorites, too. Still is. Thank you, Scott!

5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Read your eulogy at work, Scott -- I'm just this side of blubbering…
    And, Yes!, Love You Forever was (is) one of our (my) favorites.

Be well, stay safe - RA

headcronie, scjjtt, Hook and 2 others like this.
  6. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

What RA said ^ *hugs*